16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Ithaca M37 16 gauge shotguns
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:23 am  Reply with quote

Lets see...12 gauge fatso Ithaca for the clays and a duck, or three...16 gauge Ultra for upland duty...20 gauge Remington 17 for whatever is left, including loaner duty, pretty sure that covers all the pumpgun bases....dang, what am I going to do with my 1913 model 12 with lefthanded "big button" safety, and those two Mossberg 500s?

More pumps then I can use...life is tough!
Best,
Ted
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:47 am  Reply with quote

Trade the 2 Mossbergs and a H&R Topper for a Merkel Idea Laughing
3DocPop
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:24 pm  Reply with quote

Ted Schefelbein wrote:
Not to start an argument, but, my 16 gauge gun was produced by the NEW Ithaca gun company,

No argument from me, only a successful "open mouth (or keyboard, in this case), insert foot" exercise Embarassed

Here I was looking at a serial # that seemd to fit, cuz I really enjoy the book, and totally ignoring the little tiny part at the very end of the main serial # page, which clearly shows that the next to last, New Ithaca gun company, began again with #M37000001 in 1996.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:14 am  Reply with quote

I have a friend who shoots ducks with a 12 ga Mossy in camo with a plastic stock. Its his favorite duck gun. He also hunts out of an old, camo canoe. he once dropped his paddle over the side. He found that the Mossy made a fairly good emergency paddle as well as a quacker whacker. Thats one suggestion. Laughing
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:21 am  Reply with quote

Thats what Citoris are for....
Best,
Ted
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:30 am  Reply with quote

That's Sissytori to you fella. Laughing Its probably already been done seeing how popular they are. One does what one has to do when being swept down river and out to sea. I suggested my buddy tie his paddle off with a lanyard in the future. He looked at me like I had two heads. He felt the Mossy served the purpose perfectly. Rolling Eyes
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:42 am  Reply with quote

Finding a 16 Ultra might be a bit complicated. I spoke with a dealer in the know about the former companies products, who is of the firm opinion that far less than 1000 copies were produced, with fewer than 500 being possible.

I had a chance to buy 2, but, like always, dropped the ball on that. At least I got one.

They were something special. I have no idea if the current company plans to produce the 16 Ultra.
Best,
Ted
Kivaari
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 8:58 pm  Reply with quote

I traded a pistol for this 1951 16guage Model 37.

I like this gun! I want to love this gun! It shoots (mounted) about 8" high at 25 yards. If I lower the comb, I'd see nothing but the back of the receiver. She needs a little cast off, so I suppose I'll try that first before patterning again at 25 yards. I'm beginning to think I need to find another barrel to which to add an ascending rib to have a sight picture that's acceptable after the stock corrections...any suggestions guys?
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 4:46 am  Reply with quote

I have the same difficulty with almost any plain barreled gun. My sometimes (sometimes?) rib addled and over conditoned brain wants to see the target sitting squarely on top of the rib as I swing through it and pull the trigger. I come up too deeply into the target with a plain barrel and overshoot 90% of the time.

Fortunately, there is a quick and easy solution to this visual oriented problem with plain barrels. Have a smith Silver solder a short ramp of the proper height for the bead to sit on. the image of the reciever and ramp lined up fools the brain into seeing a rib-like image and lets you shoot normally without firing over the target. Try it. Its worth a shot so to speak.
Kivaari
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 9:25 am  Reply with quote

Good advice.

I change the cast first, pattern, and then determine what height I might need..

...it seems at 25 yards, 1/16 or some0.065" in sight height for inch inch over or somesuch...? I can probably do the math, iirc, the sight radius would be the distance to my eye since it is the rear sight?
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 12:07 pm  Reply with quote

It easier to do if you start with a small piece of soft wood like a piece of square cut pine about a quarter inch across and maybe 3/16 inch high by 1 inch long. Blacken it by any convenient means and tape it in place at the end of the barrel. Stick a cut down white headed common pin in it for a bead and pattern it for point of impact. you can sand it down as needed until it shoots dead on for you when you line it up with the receiver. Then just have the smith silver braze on one with the same height. after that, finding the right drop to comb and cast is easier too. Just set them so youe eye is a tiny tad over the top of the receiver flat. This way you can easily repeat your sight picture while focusing on the bird instead of the barrel.