16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Field and Stream
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 2:09 pm  Reply with quote

I quit reading F&S a long time ago but was pleasantly surprised with the May issue that included:
1. A fair and well-written take on the Cheney accident by Philip Bourjaily (puleeeze let's not start up that thread again Confused)
2. Links to some neat pics and old articles at
http://www.fieldandstream.com/fieldstream/photogallery/archive
3. A website promoting responsible hunting (see #1)
www.ihea.com
4. A good 'A Sportsman's Life' closer about a Kansas farmer
5. AND 5 PAGES OF ADS FOR 'MALE ENHANCEMENT PRODUCTS' Shocked Shocked My goodness-do they let 10 year old boys read this magazine at the barber shop like I did Question and I hope this wasn't a special insert just for me from some jerk that read my 'Still have the passion for shooting birds?' thread Confused Payback's coming if that was you Thuddddd Exclamation

Last edited by revdocdrew on Sat May 13, 2006 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
brdhnt
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 3:28 pm  Reply with quote

Drew,

Don't you realize that those adds were for the 12 gauge shooters? They need it!

TMB
________
Los angeles dispensary

Last edited by brdhnt on Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
hunshatt
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 3:30 pm  Reply with quote

Werent me cat/dog man. I'm not that smart.
Check ou the gun page. found a new toy I think. I'm going back to look at the powell tonight, but the fn will probably get th nod. Very nice gun, and espescially for the money.
Brad email withmore sane reasons to wait for the next shipment

Also while it's off topic(like most of my rambeling) I was at the Rbl factory thus. If anyone is intrested in what I saw, email, pr pm me, and I'll forward a note i wrote to someone about my experance
clayflingythingy
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 4:31 pm  Reply with quote

Never cared for F&S even in the old days. Always liked Outdoor Life or Sports Afield better. Signed up for three free issues of OL recently and the mag was just a shell of its old self. I won't be subscribing.
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 4:42 pm  Reply with quote

In the late 1950's-early 1960's, Field & Stream was a great magazine to read.There was Tap's Tips, by H.G. Tapply, and also "The Lower Forty" by Corey Ford. They published stories such as "The Road to Tinkhamtown" and also stories by Nash Buckingham ("Recall to Eden")and great how-to articles by a fine sportsman with the wonderful name of Ted Trueblood.
Also, it was great to read Warren Page, who wrote articles like "Help for Lousy Shots". Sportsman-editors like Clare Conley were outdoorsmen to envy....too bad the magazine "grew up".......

hoashooter
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 4:44 pm  Reply with quote

Haven't looked at a FS in years-too much stream and these articles weren't well written.For my money the top two mags are Shooting Times and The Handloaders Journal(Mostly rifles but a few shotgun articles).
tjwalker
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 7:44 pm  Reply with quote

I'm having trouble posting reply, so forgive me if this shows up several times. I subscribe to many magazines, F&S included. Much of the editorial content changes with the wind, depending on who's in office, what's popular, and what sell magazines. Many of the magazines that have TEXAS in the title are published out of state, and include many articles on areas outside of Texas. I fine that pure equine fodder. ( If you need the Texas translation on that, PM me) I don't watch much T.V., and most of the enjoyment I get (other than hunting and shooting my 16's) comes from reading. I enjoy reading the 16 Ga Society postings as much as any. I do not always agree with what is written in magazines ( or on these posts ), but I learn and discern. My experiences may be different from yours, but I like to read and try things out, or receive joy from good writing or a good story. I liked the thread about sporting books and authors. I have subscribed to magazines that I enjoyed, only to have a new editor take over, or have the magazine head in a direction that I care nothing about. I am happy with the recent F&S. I have some friends that mistakenly think I am an expert in some outdoor activities, most of what I have learned has been from reading and trying things out, and from the experience that brings.
fin2feather
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 8:48 am  Reply with quote

Hey, I can't post either! What's up? Mad

Oops; guess I can, but I tried to start a new thread and it wouldn't work. It had a poll; any special techniques I need to do there?

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 9:27 am  Reply with quote

Fin: one of the 'male enhancement products' might help your posting problem? Laughing Don't they make fenceposts out of stone in KS???
(Leaving for church now-may have to confess that one Rolling Eyes)
311A 16ga
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 4:23 pm  Reply with quote

Tried to open it and got zapped four times, viruses?
fin2feather
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 4:56 pm  Reply with quote

Hey Rev, thanks a lot. It wasn't enough that you got Admin to send out a message that nobody should respond to my posts, now you've got it fixed so I can't post, either? Embarassed

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 5:27 pm  Reply with quote

Fin: it wasn't me brother but ya' gotta do something about that post problem Laughing
Highcountry
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 7:47 pm  Reply with quote

Like most of you, I haven't had a subscription to one of the "big three" in many years. One reason was the seasonality of the mags - bass fishing, whitetail hunting, turkey hunting, etc. which are things that I have no real interest in. Then came the downsizing of the content of the articles and the emphasis on "how to" articles which for the most part were pretty lame. The ol' "Joe and Me" articles slid into history, and maybe I am just naive, but I really liked them. I remember the excitement reading those articles in the '50s and '60s which in some cases were real life and death experiences.

With our modern society's increasing lack of interest in the written word in hardcopy, the current writers have a helluva time making a living peddling their prose - - with a few exceptions of course. In fact the publishers are suffering too. So for the "Boomers", the future of our beloved hardcopy seems to be in peril.

I currently subscribe to PDJ and Upland Almanac which works for me now as they are focused on my main interests.

My 2 cents - Hc

fred lauer
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 8:12 pm  Reply with quote

You guys bring up some interesting points about our national sportsmans magazines. I also dropped my subscriptions to the big 3 mags a few years back.The amount of ads got rediculus and the articles became so small and short that they wasted any serious readers time. I'm not sure but I think that they were trying to attract readers with attn. deficit disorder. I might take a look at them again out of curiosity. The best mag we have in PA is PA Game News. Although it is published by our Game Commission, it has no advertisments and some good authors even though it is biased to PGC policy.