16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  New toy, perhaps.. FN 16g
hunshatt
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 3:17 pm  Reply with quote

Found a FN field grade. nice wood, 30" barrels, POW. 14 1/4 to the plastic butt. 5lbs 12oz 1800 asking. Fn is the joint that makes the Brownings , I'm told. Any one have experance with them?? Think this may be the intrem replacement for the 20gauge that we wont mention. Very lively gun
TJC
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 3:34 pm  Reply with quote

Go for it, sounds like a nice 16 ga. While you're at it send me the Merkel because it's going to get offended. Very Happy

brdhnt
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 3:35 pm  Reply with quote

HS,

I have seen FN marked guns that came into this country as "trophies" from returning GI's and also a few that were brought in during one of those times when Browning wasn't making guns of that type. I know that Husqauvarna imported a lot of FN guns, both rifles and shotguns back in the 70's and 80's but all of those I have seen were marked with the Husquavarna name and were "manufactured by Fabrique National". A friend shoots a beautiful old superposed 20 gauge that is marked "Husquavarna" instead of Browning.These were supposedly imported for several years right after Browning switched to the Citoris.

If you don't want it, PM me and I'll take it off your hands.

TB
________
VERMONT DISPENSARIES

Last edited by brdhnt on Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
budrichard
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 6:26 am  Reply with quote

Are you sure it's a 16 gauge? FN's are not Superposed, the design is different and the forearm is not attached to the barrels. I don't think FN made a 16. 12 Gauge FN's trade at less than $1K but a 16 would bring more. The weight is in line with Superposed 20 gauge SuperLights at 5# 10oz. It's your money. Do you have the gun in hand or a 3 day examination period?-Dick
hunshatt
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 10:43 am  Reply with quote

Dick, it's a sxs , field grade, box lock. Plain reciever,blued/blacked, no nothing(engraving,ect) Nice wood, fair amount of figure. I could put a nice leather pad to get it to teh correct length, teh rest of teh measurements are close enough that if theres a problem , it's me.. 16ga 2 3/4 " by gauge. 30" barrels I didn't write exactly the name on teh botton, but it was something about fabrique National, bla bla bla. Screws are very clean. imp/mod. Has sling mounts, but no cheek piece. 5lb10oz on the scale. lots of really nice stuff at the same dollar mark to replace the not to be named gun of a different gauge. I plan on buying this one to shoot,and research the rplacement of the other thing. The Fn swings really nice.
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 1:30 pm  Reply with quote

FN . . . if that's an extractor gun, I'd say the price is pretty steep. Ejector gun, maybe just a little steep. But if you like it . . .
hunshatt
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 4:15 pm  Reply with quote

how about a j. deforney(???) side plates(maybe sidelock), 26" barrels articulated triger, 6lbs. really nice wood, 16ga, checkered butt. crown grade, I was told...2900.
hunshatt
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 4:24 pm  Reply with quote

Extractor gun, how steep?
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 5:36 am  Reply with quote

You mean the Defourny is an extractor gun? You have a whole bunch of possibilities at nearly $3K. There's also a difference in price, sideplated vs sidelock. The Belgians made a lot of sideplated guns, but it's usually pretty easy to tell they're not sidelocks. Pins/screws either missing or in the wrong places. On a sidelock, there should be one pin/screw which is in fact a cocking indicator. When you pull the front trigger, pin on the R side will rotate; back trigger, same on the L side. If you don't see that, be very suspicious that you have a plated gun and not a sidelock.

It's harder to establish a market price for European doubles unless they have a common name. That being said, I recently bought (and sold or traded) a couple Francotte 16's, both ejector guns. One was mid-$2K range, the other just short of $4K. First one was conventional boxlock but excellent condition, with ejectors, weight about 5 3/4, modern proofs, 2 3/4". (Proof and chamber length are important considerations on Euro guns.) Second was older, short chambers that had been lengthened, but much higher grade gun--sideplates (not a sidelock) with gorgeous engraving. And there are enough Francottes around that price is a bit easier to determine.

The way I look at European guns is as follows: You can get "name" 16ga extractor guns in the $1K-1500 range without looking too hard. Thinking something like a Sauer here. For less than that, you will occasionally find a pretty nice French or Belgian guild gun. You can even get some pretty nice ejector guns for under $2K (Bernardelli and Sauer Royal, for example). You can also find British 16's (extractor guns) around $2K, give or take; boxlock ejectors from $3K on up, depending on name, condition, etc.

When you buy European, you either need to buy a readily recognizable name--in which case you can determine an approximate price--or else you have to buy the gun "right" as far as price goes, because without the recognizable name, the price really takes a hit. Example: a nice little French or Belgian guild gun with extractors may be every bit as good a gun as a Brit extractor gun with a "name", but the Brit gun will probably bring at least twice as much on the market. Proceed with caution!
hunshatt
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 5:57 am  Reply with quote

The extractors are on the Fn.
The Defourney is a ejector gun. The book we looked at last night says they start at around 2500 and go up. I'm going back to look tonight and I'll try to get more info sidelock/side plates. Very nice metal work, lots of figure on the wood, but I'm a little worried about the short barrels. I normally shoot 28-30"
nhdblfan
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 5:21 am  Reply with quote

hey there HS,
forget the FN,lets here more about this Defourney,.Don't worry bout the barrels if the chokes are tight enough you will be fine $$.If they are open you have a partridge gun but you have to lower asking price.Of cousre check chambers to be sure no plumber has got a hold of it and be sure its on face and tight.
hope your staying dryer than we are just north of you !Man if it doesn't stop raining soon I am going boat shopping Very Happy
hunshatt
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 5:48 am  Reply with quote

It's at Ktp. Skeet/skeet, marked, and gauged to verify. 70mm chambers, marked and verified. ejectors. Right at 6lbs on ktps, crap scale. Went back last night to buy my sister a little franchi 48 to replace the 1100 I traded out from under her(Mine, she said she didn't care, but couldn't come to terms with the g-friends lovely little bl-5 20 afterwards) the franchi has a nice hunk of wood that will be a winter refinish/chase the checkering project.
Played with the 2" powell and the defourney. Powell got taken off the list. The defourney just handles like a dream, and to me it's a 90% gun. Lite handleing marks on the wood, nothing else jumps out as a problem. Really tight on face, articulated trigger, can't think of anything else. But like I told Larry, don't really need to blow 3k(probably get them down a little) unless I want to cull the safe a little.

As far as the impending flood, had 10k of french drains, and supersumps installed a couple of months ago , best money I ever spent on Kathi's little crap box house. I'd have had 5-6" at least in the basement. A little dampness from the contraction cracks in the repour, but nothing else. Of course my neighbor now has a lot of water in his backyard......

You going to be able to make Addiville this sat?? If the rain goes away??
Tim