16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  hello from france
16GAwaterfowler
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 5:31 pm  Reply with quote

I as many of you would love to see a 16 ga Hevi shot factory load come on the market, unfortunatley after speaking with Remington a few years ago about it, I doubt it's ever going to happen. Basic thinking from Remington was there is not enough of a market for it, as most of the other manufacturers seem to feel also.
Best thoughts for Hevi shot is load your own, I have for a few years now in Ballistic Products multi metal wad loads. I have done extensive pattern testing with 16 ga Hevi shot loads up to #2 and so far #6 is the winner with #5 being the largest pellets I got adequate patterns with, #4 and #2 Hevi did not pattern well in either of my new model 1100 Remingtons. Best loads seem to be either 1 1/8 oz or 1 1/4 oz using Blue Dot powder, which seems to have enough bulk to give excellent crimps in most hulls tested (Fiocchi, Cheddite and Federal hulls).
The biggest trick I have found with Hevi shot is to not overchoke it, a modified choke will reach out a very long way, I averaged 85-90% patterns with #6 hevi @ 40 yards with a modified Remchoke, IC will give you 70% patterns @ 40 yards.
Other than that #6 Hevi will bring down large mallards out to 40 yards with very little problem, 45 yards shots are not out of the question although I hesitate to push the 16 ga loads that far.
One of these days I am going to get the time to send Tom the 1550 fps 16 ga steel shot load I developed, when I do I will post it up so we all can use it. I have had very good sucess with it for a few years now, in a modern shotgun it works very well. I have taken ducks up to Mallard size with #3 steel in this load.
brdhnt
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 11:42 pm  Reply with quote

16gaw,

I guess i wasn't clear in my first post. HEVI-Shot is no longer a part of Remington and Remington is no longer marketing their products. They were very unhappy with Remington's marketing approach and were developing new loads and Remington didn't want them so they never got marketed. HEVI-Shot (Environ-Metal) is now it's own company doing their own production and marketing. Since they are now a smaller independent company, they will listen to smaller groups and since Kelly is not only a very nice lady but an avid hunter and also a senior executive with the company, she is willing to listen to us. The day I talked to Kelly she was taking off that afternoon to go varmint shooting which is one of her passions when the bird seasons are closed. Just her and two or three others from the company. No big set-up hunt with a lot of big wigs and more infomercial than hunt which is what you would get from Remington.

So call or e-mail for a 16 gauge load!

Terry
________
Marijuana hemp

Last edited by brdhnt on Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
16GAwaterfowler
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 4:42 pm  Reply with quote

brdhnt wrote:
16gaw,

I guess i wasn't clear in my first post. HEVI-Shot is no longer a part of Remington and Remington is no longer marketing their products. They were very unhappy with Remington's marketing approach and were developing new loads and Remington didn't want them so they never got marketed. HEVI-Shot (Environ-Metal) is now it's own company doing their own production and marketing. Since they are now a smaller independent company, they will listen to smaller groups and since Kelly is not only a very nice lady but an avid hunter and also a senior executive with the company, she is willing to listen to us. The day I talked to Kelly she was taking off that afternoon to go varmint shooting which is one of her passions when the bird seasons are closed. Just her and two or three others from the company. No big set-up hunt with a lot of big wigs and more infomercial than hunt which is what you would get from Remington.

So call or e-mail for a 16 gauge load!

Terry

Don't hold your breath waiting for them to develope a 16 ga load. I am aware the contract expired earlier this year with Enviro and Remington. Hopefully Enviro will come up with some better loads than the first go round they tried with Hevi shot. Problems with Enviro's loads were numerous and the attempt they made to produce Hevi Steel loads (actually Polywad developed them) were a disaster. The Hevi Steel loads leaked so much buffer that many hunters found them unusable, and when they did not leak buffer they performed only marginally at best.
Remingtons Hevi shot loads on the other hand were of extremely high quality and well constucted, I have taken several apart in 10, 12 and 20 ga and all were very well put together, performing very well in the field.
Again don't believe it until you see it on the market, I will just keep on loading my own until something better comes along.