16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Extended Briley chokes worth the money?
druminman
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 8:25 pm  Reply with quote

I just acquired a new 16 ga Citori because I have no willpower Smile

I want to get a pair of Briley skeet tubes for it, and am curious if the extended tubes offer any advantage. My instincts tell me "no", but what do you guys think?
hoashooter
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 9:29 pm  Reply with quote

The big advantage is no need for a wrench to take 'em out.I was a long time holdout on the exteneded tubes but now prefer them.It is also easier to read the constriction written on the side rather than looking down the barrel and counting hash marks.
TJC
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 3:34 am  Reply with quote

I use extended Trulocks in my Feather for shooting sporting clays and they are great for quick changes.

Citori16
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 9:00 am  Reply with quote

I love my Brileys Very Happy , have nearly a full set. Also have most of the Browning chokes. Patterns are slightly better with the Brileys depending on the load. Quick change/easy ID is best reasons for me.

Scolari
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 9:46 am  Reply with quote

Just how much do the extended chokes cost? The idea of being able to read the choke size easier sounds nice. If I had them, I'd probably change chokes more often than I do. Which do you think are better Truelock or Briley?
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 10:11 am  Reply with quote

Either will do for skeet. If your load gives a good pattern to begin with, extended chokes won't make a difference ballisticly at skeet ranges. However, they might help in sporting clays or for fun trap. However, more constriction than skeet might be needed.

The best advantage extended tubes have is weight. If you have a gun that is balanced for field work, shifting the weight foreward for targets will help, especially if you have a shorter barreled gun like 26 or even 24 inches. So, I'd go with the heaviest ones I could get. A phone call to each company will help find out.
Citori16
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 10:11 am  Reply with quote

I initially paid about $30 ea for my first 3 Briley's...since then I have managed to find a few on Ebay and such at a reduced price (one about $15). I have not tried the Truelocks.

I can't say I hit any better with them, but at least I'm not trying to shoot grouse with a full choke because I'm too lazy to change...'course I won't tell my hunting partners that. A man needs his excuses when he misses.

wildweasel
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 5:34 am  Reply with quote

This is really timely because I am looking at the Trulock and Briley extended chokes but can't decide. Briley definitely has a wider selection for my citori 16 invector. Trulock only has one type available - the precision hunter model (TJC - are these the ones you have for your Browning?) and trulock will bump off 5% for NRA members. The comparable Briley chokes are a bit more expensive.

Also, Briley has ported and non-ported models - anyone notice a difference between the two?
TJC
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 10:05 am  Reply with quote

wild,
Yes, those are the ones I use in the Feather when shooting sporting clays. I've been very happy with them. But you can't slight Briley either. They are top notch all the way.
In fact, my new Merkel 1620 is going to them for their thin wall tubes as soon as the gun gets here.