16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  German 16ga.
16ga.
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 6:25 pm  Reply with quote
Site Admin
Site Admin

21may06

A friend bought a consignment gun here from a reputable dealer. It is a 80 year or so old german 16ga. sxs. Its marked Joseph Ritter– Wickwitz, on the rib and Bohler & Blitzstahl on the barrels in both directions. It's is a very light game gun with remarkable fit and finish, in great condition. Excellent wood, etc. He's interested in what he has bought.

Does anyone have any knowledge of the maker?

16ga.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 7:43 pm  Reply with quote

Don't know anything other than a question---what is the true chamber length?????
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 4:44 am  Reply with quote

If it was made in the 1920's, there's a good chance there will be a date code on the gun--3 or 4 digit number, month and year of proof.

Can't find much of anything on Ritter, but German guns in general are usually pretty solid, and the ones from the between the wars period usually had quite good craftsmanship. Ritter may well have been a gunshop owner for whom the gun was made rather than a maker, because I don't think Wickwitz was a gunmaking center. Bohler steel is good stuff.
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 11:02 am  Reply with quote

Try German Gun Collectors BBS www.germanguns.com
nhdblfan
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 5:12 am  Reply with quote

Sounds nice, Damn one that got away Very Happy !
If it was made after 1923 it will have the date mark like Larry says,there should also be some proof marks on the barrel flats.
There where many retailers that put their names on the rib and it is not uncommon to find one like you describe.I sometimes think there should be a list to see if two or more of a kind turn up,I have and Austrian cape gun that also has a name on rib and Bohler Blitz Stahl.Its excellent steel and as long as chambers/chokes have not ben messed with your friend will enjoy his find.
Probably a war trophy as many where.
If you could post/send some pictures perhaps a guess as to the true maker might be made,there where lots of Sauers/Heym,Merkel's from that era that have a "look" and might give some indication of your Ritter's lineage.
HTH
16ga.
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 11:16 am  Reply with quote
Site Admin
Site Admin

I don't see the owner regularly, I run into him at the range. I'll see if I can catch him later this week and snap a photo or 2.

I'm more concerned about his chamber lenghth. I warned him about hot loads and modern ammunition but forgot to ask about the chambers. He'll jump right into 2 3/4 unless I tell him.

More later. --16ga.