16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Taking Your Gun To School.
John Molnar
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 9:49 pm  Reply with quote

Hi,
This just brought back a wave of nice thoughts of a late friend. Bill Kilpatrick was his name. He was one of the people that God puts in your life as needed. Anyhow, He was about 25 years my Sr. He got his 1st rifle in the early 50's. If I remember right he was 11 or 12. The neat thing about it was he had to ride the Trolley Car to get home. There was not a problem at all other then showing off his new gun to the other men on the car. He said it got passed form person to person. Each one had complemented him on his choice. He said he felt so proud.
He told me "Used to be competitions between the High Schools rifle teams... Cherry hill would shoot against Patterson Park and so on." What a different world. Btw this was in Baltimore Maryland...

Cancer took Bill. He was in the infancy of writing a book on "Baltimore Guns for the waterfowling trade" Bill had one of the neatest Old fowling gun collections I have ever seen in one place, 68 guns. He had O gauges 4s 2s and punt guns. MsComas and other makers that I never have heard of...
IDcut
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 8:39 pm  Reply with quote

I think I packed either a rifle or shotgun in my Dad's 39 Chevy pick-up or my 56 Ford to school on almost a daily basis during hunting season. Depending on my class schedule throughout high school, I'd either go before or after school for grouse or deer. Although most areas in North Idaho are still very much pro gun and hunting, I imagine there would be some punishment now days for bringing a firearm onto school grounds.
It is kind of nice to escape to my hometown during hunting season and see numerous adults and kids driving around with a rack full of hunting rifles or shotguns. Although they may not be able to take one to school, before and after school hunting is still alive and well in North Idaho(at least parts of North Idaho).
CH
woodcock
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 11:58 am  Reply with quote

We had a locker in the 'equiptment' room where the guns stayed until we were out of class. Usually a copy of hunting season dates was posted on the door.
MAN! we're all getting pretty old-------------------
cedar16
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 7:35 am  Reply with quote

Our rifle team practiced on a range in the basement of our high school in the early 60's. In shop class we made scale-model replicas of Naval 24 pounders that fired black powder/lead-ball charges. During duck season, my buddy parked his parent's '50 Hudson behind the school with the duck boat in the trunk! When the bell signaled the end of classes for the day, we could be at our favorite marsh in 10 minutes. Don't remember, but our guns were probably in the back seat of the Hudson, doors probably were not locked. Those were good days to be sure. Thankfully, I still hunt with that same buddy--hunt that same marsh too from time to time, but I suspect it has been a long time since any replica cannons have been built on the lathe in the high school shop.
Rem16
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 6:28 pm  Reply with quote

If i brought a gun to BHS or Lorain community college, not with viciois intentions, Id still be expelled and sent to jail. Like you old farts said, my grandpops used to bring his sears .410 bolt gun and put it in his locker for rabbit hunting after school. I would like to replace drama club with a trap club, they do it some places. A field and stream from a half year ago had a article about a tennesee high schools all girls trap team, i cut that one out and hung it up, they all were honeys Cool Not that my doofy self would have achance with them though. Rolling Eyes

Woodcanoeguy
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 9:59 pm  Reply with quote

I took my shotgun to hi school and left it in the back of my 50 chev coupe for a quick hunt after school....just 5 minutes to duck pond or pheasant field. Still hunt the same public fields but the pheasants are all planted birds now. Still full of memories though.
I aslo went to Alaska for the summer with an older buddy after graduating high school in 1967 and got on the airplane with my rifle in my hands, ammo in my backback. Slept in the Anchorage airport with it next to me and no one thought it at all unusual....oh the good old days!!
We all have a big job in protecting our hunting rights and that of our sons and daughters. So much misunderstanding of hunters and hunting.