16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  GAEP Roll Crimping Tools
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:51 pm  Reply with quote

A good Lyman does not square the inside edge. My 20 and 12 and 10 do not. They are smooth and slick as the inside of a crocodiles snout. My Precision 16 is a bit too tight in the slot. I think that can cause the problem Mike reports. I do OK with my Precision Reloading 16 gauge crimper on both paper Cheddite's and Federals (the wax in Feds helps -- Cheddite's are dry), as well as plastic hulls, but I can't bully it around much. One always has to develop a feel for it after not using it for a while, and also happiness is a warm crimper. Try a little wax or grease or other lube (sparingly!) -- it helps keep things round on the edges, but it also keeps your crimper from warming up as fast. I generally do not lube. I like a little friction -- How about you fellows?

Bang On!
Hootch
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:10 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks, but the MEc conversion would be over my head. But might be able to do the resizer method. Just need a resizer.
I have found that at least through my gun, I need to re size the hulls.
old colonel
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:09 pm  Reply with quote

My compliments on your conversion.

My transaction with Charles to purchase a paper and plastic crimp rollers was smooth and easy using PAYPAL for payment.

I collect anything and everything in16ga reloading.

I have 16ga roll crimp tools from BPI, Precision, Lyman, Dixon, and several unknown antiques. The GAEP are the very good quality and yeild great crimps on my drill press. GAEP has become my prefered roll crimpers.

I defiitely recommend Charles at GAEP.

2shot
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:00 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the great post. I have used Gaep's 32 ga and 20 ga crimpers and have a 24 ga on order from Charles. Great service from him. He is also getting me some cleaning brushes from Siarm. I have the interchangable hand crank tool from Siarm but rate it poor for hold the the shell in the crimper. Does not work with the 32 ga crimper. I have to use my hand drill for that since I don't have a drill press. I am going to try the spreader inserts since I have used them in my 16 ga guns with great success. What other powders do any of you use for the 24 ga. I have BP's data but only have the blus dot powder. I would like to find one with Unique powder. I do have some longshot so will try that first. I bought some 24 ga chedite hulls from grafs and they seem tougher than the fiocchi hulls but I have not measured the capacity.
I live North of Mankato, MN