16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Problems with Blue Fiocchi Hulls
bcprater
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:46 pm  Reply with quote

Two years ago I bought a flat of Fiocchi 16 ga. 7.5 shot. All shot fine and reloaded well. I realized I didn't give enough info here so I am editing to add that the shells were Blue, 1 oz. shot. I'm sorry, but I no longer have the hulls or boxes to provide any further info.

On the 2nd reload I noticed that on several of the hulls the brass base had pulled away from the plastic hull, to a greater or lesser extent. I then checked all the hulls and found that approximately 180 of the 250 hulls had seperated in this fashion and were loose.

I discarded all 250 hulls and have not bought any Fiocchi hulls since.

Have any of the rest of you noticed this problem, or did I simply win the lottery and get a bad lot? Sad

Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:48 pm  Reply with quote

I have never bought new Fiocchi ammo, but I have used new Fiocchi hulls 67mm and have used them in my M12 and 1100 and haven't had any problems.

AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:13 pm  Reply with quote

I don't use Fiocchi hulls, but did get some hulls for trial loading. Despite warnings that the primer pocket was metric and 209s wouldn't fit, I found them to work well. The primary reason I didn't continue to use them is that Cheddite and Winchester Super X are the same hull, so I can standardize with them.
deer hunter
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:33 am  Reply with quote

I've used them in my 48's and have seen similar things , not so in the 870 or m12 .

ars1876
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:37 am  Reply with quote

I bought several flats of the game & target and the vip loads from BP about 3 years ago and get about 7-9 reloads using my standard load of 19.5 gr of Unique.I've never had any problems with seperation.I only shoot these in my o/u's & sxs's.I shoot about 4 thousand a year just with my 16's.
old colonel
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:51 am  Reply with quote

I have reloaded Fiochi hulls without issue. I have had the problem you describe with nobil hulls once, buut it was isolated to one hull and did not repeat.

jswanson
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:04 am  Reply with quote

I only have experience with reloading new primed hulls and have never had a problem. I reload and shoot about 4000 rounds of 16 Ga a year. Using both Fiocchi and Chedite. Hulls no problms with either.

However, I have read of people having similar problems with reloading Fiocchi hulls that startd life as actory ammo. If I remember correctly it was attributed to the way the crimp was sealed in the factory loading process.
Not sure about this but that is my recollection.

Joe

Jagdhund
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:05 pm  Reply with quote

I've used a few hundred factory loaded and NPE Fiocchi hulls in 12, 16 and 20 without losing any to losse heads. Admittedly, this is a small sample compared to some folk's experience.

bauerp
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:24 pm  Reply with quote

My experience has also been good. Bought several bags of 100 primed hulls with no issues.

bcprater
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:38 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses.

I've never purchased the new, primed fiocchi hulls. After my experience I simply decided they were not worth the effort.

I have purchased the preprimed new Cheddite hulls and have been very satisfied with them.

Thanks again for everyones responses. Smile

canam
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:19 pm  Reply with quote

I have had separation of the brass from the plastic. One shell out of very few fired through my 11-48 last year. The same box when fired through my Ithaca Model 37 would not extract. These were factory loads Golden Pheasant number 5.
Willy McCoy
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:02 pm  Reply with quote

Several years ago I took a case of 16ga Fiocchi (mixed 4, 7.5 & 9 shot boxes) in on a trade. They work fine in a Russian made single barrel I have, but just won't cycle through the action in none of the Remington autoloaders around here (2x 1100s and a 11-48 ). They shoot fine, but I have to manually eject them. Federals and Remington ammo cycle just fine in the autoloaders. I guess the Remington guns just don't like that foreign ammo.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:16 am  Reply with quote

I have used the same blue Fiocchi 16 ga hulls for my own custom 1-1/4 ounce heavy duty Blue Dot reloads w/o any problems. However, these heavy loads are one and dones. The hulls get tossed after one reloading but not because of any problems I've encountered. It is because I use this hull exclusively for this load. I've found that only the strongest, least worn hull mouths give the well formed, dependable crimps needed for the most consistant ballistics in any high performance hunting loads which use slow burning powders like Blue Dot.