16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  LEE Load All II reloader
MSO1776
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:07 pm  Reply with quote

Does anyone have any advice about what components load best on a LEE Load All II? I have Winchester X-Pert hulls, Claybuster wads, and tried some Universal Clays that I keep for my 28 ga. Loading 1 oz. of #8 shot for busting clays. Load is OK, but shot rattles around more than I like.
Question
bcprater
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:09 pm  Reply with quote

MSO1776 wrote:
Does anyone have any advice about what components load best on a LEE Load All II? I have Winchester X-Pert hulls, Claybuster wads, and tried some Universal Clays that I keep for my 28 ga. Loading 1 oz. of #8 shot for busting clays. Load is OK, but shot rattles around more than I like.
Question

I know this is not what you asked, but the best favor you can do for yourself is get rid of the LLA and get a quality single stage reloader.

Having said that, try approximately the same load with SG16 wads. If you don't want to try different wads, use a filler or overshot card. If those are the new Win Xpert hulls, they are actually Cheddite and you can use any recipe for Cheddite hulls to load them.

Good luck.

spr310
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:43 am  Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with the components you have. You can get a good load using those components on a Lee loadall. The one advantage the Mec has is you can adjust the precrimp. You can also do it on a Lee Loadall. Actually much easier then on the mec. When you get the hull ready to crimp, look at how much room in the hull from the top of the shot to the top of the hull. If it's about 1/2". Just place a quarter under the hull when you pre crimp. Then you will get a good crimp on the cheddite hull. With a mec you would have to adjust the precrimp and then if you go to rem hulls you have to adjust the precrimp again.
My loadalls come from the days of using Hercules and dupont powders and stll going strong.
matt
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:56 pm  Reply with quote

I use cheddite hulls with 16 grains of Green Dot, 1 oz #8 shot, and a sporting 16 wad. I have used it on clays with good results and it gives a tight crimp. As for the waa16 style wad, I use an overshot card with that same load. That seems to give the correct crimp height for that hull on my Load All II.
nezlek
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:18 pm  Reply with quote

Purists may give it a bad rap, but with PATIENCE it does a nice job. Also looks like it could do 2.5" hulls if you trimmed the final crimp tube and used washers to raise the hull for filling & crimping. I also notice that ALL of the 2.5" hulls I have are actually 2 9/16, so after the last 1000 Remingtons, I will see if this idea has a chance of success.