16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Ithaca Grade 1 Flues 16 Straight Grip Conversion?
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:04 pm  Reply with quote

Although I love Uncle Dan Syracuse Lefevers, I have also always liked the grade 1 Ithaca Flues guns with the deep relief art deco style leaf engraving. The only thing I don't like about them is that ugly screw in the forend. Just curious though, not being an Ithaca expert, are these a high enough grade and/or rare enough that it would it be considered sacrilege to convert one of these in original condition pistol grip to a straight grip?

Just for illustration purposes, here's a grade 1 to look at:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=273675503

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
scraggley
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:57 pm  Reply with quote

The Ithaca flues was made early on with the forend iron held on with a wood screw from the inside .Two of them in my possesion are so made .It is not a good desigh as the screw loosens in the wood with heavy use and its easy to strip out.Later guns used the machine screw from the outside. Regarding converting a Flues pistol grip to stright grip.I have contemplated just such a modificaion .After studying the grip, it was my opinion that that after the checkering was remove and the grip reshaped it would end up to small in cross section. Then it still has to be re checkered. Anyway that was my take on it.

Art

XVI'er
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:41 pm  Reply with quote

No. I have contemplated doing the same thing you mention to a 1 1/2 grade with the vine and leaf engraving. My friends convinced me that $695 was too much to spend on one. I wisely moved on. I think that $2K is waaaaay to much to spend on this grade- it's not a Parker or even a Lefever! Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing Laughing

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:43 pm  Reply with quote

Good stuff, thanks. $695 seems very reasonable to me for a grade 1 1/2 in good shape, given that I've seen them sell for upwards of $1400. Of course, that was pre-recession also.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
Researcher
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:31 am  Reply with quote

That is a very interesting gun in that Gunbroker ad. When the bold floral engraving was first introduced, in mid-1915, it was on the No. 1 1/2 with either Damascus barrels or Krupp Fluid Steel barrels --

By 1919 Ithaca was getting out of the composite iron and steel barrels and they were combining grades and simplifying their line. The No. 1 1/2 as shown in the July 1919 Ithaca catalogue was only being offered with steel barrels, but was listed on the July 29, 1919, price list as "discontinued". By the December 1, 1919, Ithaca catalogue they are showing the bold floral engraving as the new No. 1 --

and only offered with Fluid Steel barrels.

So, here we have a gun with a 1919 vintage serial number, marked 1, and it has the bold floral engraving and Chain Damascus barrels normally found on the No. 3 in earlier years. Also it has the choke markings presented as a fraction 1/4 and 2/4 which is normally seen on earlier guns. Was it a special order or did a worker just find a set of barrels Ithaca was no longer offering and fit them up to an available action? Hmmm....

tjwalker
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:20 pm  Reply with quote

I have a Flues model field grade. It did not fit me, so I had it restocked to a straight grip stock with new beavertail fore end. Of my side by sides, I shoot it best and like it best. I have guns for using and never really worried too much about the resale value, just how good it works. I would recommend having it restocked to your liking!

[/quote]
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:13 pm  Reply with quote

Well, after all this talk, I won a grade 1 1/2 16ga at auction the other day. Looks to be in really nice shape, 28" m/f steel barrels, but looks like it needs some stock attention (I haven't received it yet). As a heads up, I'll be fixing it up and re-selling it soon, in case anyone might be looking for one of these. They seem fairly rare.

JNW
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:13 am  Reply with quote

UDF,
I am the proud owner of my grandfather's 1915 Field Grade Flues. It is a 16 gauge with 30" barrels and weighs 6# 8oz. The original stock had over 3" of DAH and was absolutely unshootable. This gun is not worth much money, but the sentimental value is enormous to me. It had a pistol grip and I wanted a straight grip on it. Instead of spending a lot on a restock I sent it to Keith Kearcher in Bend, Oregon. He did a butt stock transplant with a nice piece of black walnut, welded onto the trigger guard making it a long tang, glass bedded the head of the stock, shaped the stock exactly to my specifications with a recoil pad, checkered over the splice and refinished the stock and forend. I will say that I did not like the stain and finish he put on it and I redid this myself - if I do this again, and I most certainly will with the right gun, I will ask for it to be checkered but not finished. My total bill with shipping was around $750. I now own a gun that fits me perfectly, is nice to look at and no one can tell it was spliced unless I tell them. The only thing is that the head of the stock has to be in good shape. This is a wonderful alternative to a restock. I can give you his contact information if you like.
Regards,
Jeff
gferrett
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:11 pm  Reply with quote

Jeff i'm interested, could you post some pic?
Thanks ferrett
top_cat
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:04 am  Reply with quote

I, too, had a "butt transplant" done on my 1925 Flues 16 by Keith. You can't tell where the join is. This gun was given to me for safekeeping by a good friend - it had been in his family since 1926.

Keith also opened the chokes to .005" and .011" - IC and Lite Mod. He added a semi-beavertail forend he had in his parts box. He specializes in pre-war and turn of the century doubles. He will work on a modern gun only under protest.