16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Re-Loading #7 for Pigeons - Great Success!
bmc
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:34 am  Reply with quote

Thanks to all who encouraged me to re-load. I have had much gratification and success from re-loading.

we had an incredible pigeon shoot this week, i used an old formula. it produced some of the hottest and lethal loads ive ever shot.

they may have been too hot for the model 12, but they sure put the birds down hard.

it was the following:

mec 600 with 302 118 bar 36 bushing, green dot, rem. sp16 wad, and #7 lead shot.

all of the components i am using were hammy downs and are at least 20 years old. every thing worked just fine. this load cracked quite a bit and hit very hard. i only shot a few boxes, then ran out and switched back to factory ammo. it was amazing how much better the re-loads performed over the factory stuff.

i am still figuring this all out so any comments or critiques are welcome.

one thing i have always know is that #7's really put the hurt on pigeons. I have no idea how 1/2 size difference can make such a big impact, but it does.

skeettx
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:39 am  Reply with quote

The proof is in the pigeon Very Happy Shocked

Thanks for sharing
I think you have found a PET load
Mike
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:00 am  Reply with quote

I really like #7 shot, but can only find it in B&P factory loads- only 7 1/2 in bulk. Is that pigeon shooting the original trap style?
bmc
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:25 am  Reply with quote

AmericanMeet wrote:
I really like #7 shot, but can only find it in B&P factory loads- only 7 1/2 in bulk. Is that pigeon shooting the original trap style?

no, these are live fliers.

believe it or not, i take the first 10 or 20 shot and put lay them out, the rest will decoy and give you a " boxed " bird style shoot. it can be turned into a very close pigeon ring style of shoot.

deer hunter
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:16 pm  Reply with quote

we used to have a flyway that came west out of Rochester . Same type thing . A DPW area was like their target and led to grain fields . they'd come over the DPW and line out on a hedgerow , spot the dead birds and pile in . The funny thing was , the high flyers would swoop down at the shots and create dropping , screaming tatgets - a RIOT ! Shot bushels and bushels ! We'ed signal the farm kids , they'd fly out on a tractor , grab the bushels and clean while we blasted away . ( 12 ga 1400 fps trap loads - ouch )

Hootch
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:08 pm  Reply with quote

They hit hard because they are most likely closer to say 6 1/2 shot size rather than 7. I figured that whatever didn't make the grade as a #6 got thrown into a bag as a number 7.

Anyway, #7 moving fast is a pretty good load for alot of game!!