16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Picked up a White Lightning
chilly460
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:10 pm  Reply with quote

Found a NIB 28" White Lightning at my local shop at a good price. It's a 2004 model they picked up as a SHOT show special. I was torn between a Lightning Feather, and the reqular Lightning. I actually like the feel of the Feather better, but I'll be shooting the gun a fair bit and think it will work out better as far as recoil goes.

These 16ga definitely have a very nice feel. I have a 12ga Citori Hunter and there is a huge difference in the two. The 16 has great balance, nice light weight without feeling whippy as well. I really see this is a premiere upland gun and can't wait to get the opportunity to shoot it.
Grousen
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:54 pm  Reply with quote

Chilly,
Congratulations on your selection, as you picked the same model gun I would have for your stated uses. I wish you the best of luck with it.

My 16 gauge Lightning Feather is a delight in the field, but as it whacks the crap out of me on the skeet field, your choice makes alot of sense. Being a self-acknowledged "recoil wussy", please allow me to welcome you to the "Sissy-tory" group. Remember the childhood saying, " sticks and stones will break my bones, but words will never hurt me". Expect the "Sterly group" to mount their usual attack.

16 gauge Citori's are SWEET. These guns will probably outlast all of us. By the way, do you mind if I ask how much it cost you?

Regards,
Grousen
hoashooter
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:38 pm  Reply with quote

The Sterly boys are just jealous of a REAL gun Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
hunshatt
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:44 pm  Reply with quote

The sterly boys are jealious of any gun, starting with a red rider Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
hoashooter
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:35 pm  Reply with quote

And I used the capital S---Shame on me----NEVER AGAIN----Only BROWNING deserves the big letters Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
chilly460
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:48 pm  Reply with quote

I shot a quick round of skeet today with the 16. It feels very nice. I've only shot skeet a few times, so I end up chasing bird quite a ways and the nice weight and swing of this gun let me play catchup on station 4 very well.

I shot the 1200fps 1oz Remington Game Loads and they felt fine. I'm just collecting hulls so I can reload a 1150fps 1oz load that I think will be perfect.

I really like the slim feel of the PW grip, and the lower receiver height of the gun. I shot it back to back with my 12ga Citori, and it's a completely different feel.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:28 pm  Reply with quote

460---I have had REAL good luck with 3/4 oz loads in the Remington hull using fillers---Ever tried any????
chilly460
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:21 am  Reply with quote

I haven't done any 16ga yet actually. All I could find was SP16 wads, so I was going to start by just reducing them down to 1oz loads and go from there.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:50 am  Reply with quote

Chilly, two 28 ga .135" thick card wads will make a nice 7/8 ounce load in the SP-16. 16 to 16.5 grains of Green Dot will push it to 1150 -1200 FPS. Its much easier on the old shoulder, the shot string is real flat, and you will tend to keep your head on the stock better. It will serve you well for trap singles too.

HOA is right about 3/4 ounce loads for skeet. The same technique with an R16 one ounce wad over the same powder charge will make up a perfect 3/4 ounce load. Its more than enough for skeet. One ounce of #9 shot is overkill. Even the serious guys use 7/8 ounce loads now in the 12 and 3/4 ounce in the 20 ga and 28 ga guns for skeet. Its actually easier to shoot cleans with the lighter kicking loads. At skeet ranges, a target can't fly through a 3/4 ounce pattern of #9 shot if its properly put in front of the bird. There simply are not any holes there to do it. 2 ounces of shot behind and high from lifting your head will still miss the bird.

You might be able to jump on the R16 order through Recob's before it goes in. Circle Fly wads can provide you with 28 ga or .50 cal nitro wads very cheaply if you order in bulk. That's what I did. Now I can pump out 7/8 and 3/4 ounce target ammo to my heart's content. I shoot either load much more effectively that one ounce loads in my 16 ga Citori, as well as my other 16 ga guns. I know you will too. Everyone who's tried them at my club has.