16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Need a recipe for some 7/8 target loads...
britgun
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:23 pm  Reply with quote

Hi, I have some 16ga AA hulls, R16 wads, Cheddite 209 primers, and SR7625 and/or Longshot powders.... lookin for 1100 fps or so, with as low a psi as possible. Any experience out there with this particular bunch of ingredients? Mostly need the amount of powder grains to achieve the goal. Can't seem to find it in my data base for these hulls.... Thanks,

Duncan
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:45 pm  Reply with quote

You are trying to use powders that don't fit the application. Those are medium to slow burn rate powders.

For the velocity you want with that payload, Green Dot, American Select, International, PB something along those lines are much more usable.

pudelpointer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:50 am  Reply with quote

20 gr of 7625 is about 7000 lup and 1160 fps in an old manual. That load uses R-16 1oz and win 209.
britgun
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:08 am  Reply with quote

pudelpointer wrote:
20 gr of 7625 is about 7000 lup and 1160 fps in an old manual. That load uses R-16 1oz and win 209.

hey thanks, that's what a couple hours of pouring over 16ga/SR7625 google search produced for me last night, too! Found an old post on some other chat site where a couple old timers were talkin about their pet loads from days of yore and that is exactly what they were shootin back when.....Think I'll run some and then see what Armbrust can tell me, just for safe measure. It seems that Longshot at 19-20 grains will do the same thing, too, according to the scant data for Win compression formed hulls married up with Longshot I could find (I think Longshot came on the scene in about 2000 or so, long after Winchester stopped AA types for the 16).
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:03 pm  Reply with quote

Slower powders like Longshot are designed for use with heavier shot loads. They burn too inefficiently under sub gauge shot weight loads to produce consistant ballistic results. The low pressures produced can in fact be very problematic. Squib loads and stuck wads can result if the charge weights thrown are too low.

I strongly doubt you can do better than 15.5 to 16 grains of Green Dot for an excellent performing 7/8 ounce load using those componants you've listed. Pressures should be very mild, velocities fast enough to be useful, and ballistics should be very consistant.

You will need one .135" thick 28 ga nitro card under the shot in the R16 wad to get the correct shot column height and the resulting reliable, efficient crimps. Placing a 28 ga card wad under the shot inside the shot cup can't affect load pressures, and is the easiest way I've found to solve the problem of properly filling a 1 ounce wad cup with 7/8 ounces of shot. You can also use the DR 16 wad with the same powder charge if you want to for go fillers.

You can also use a volumetrically equal charge of International Clays to get the same results.
britgun
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:31 pm  Reply with quote

wow... thanks a lot. I was just about to buy a tub o' powder.... guess I'll make it green dot.... how bout a 20ga wafer thin overshot card? Would that make it crimp OK?

Duncan
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:35 pm  Reply with quote

Dogchaser37 wrote:
You are trying to use powders that don't fit the application. Those are medium to slow burn rate powders.

For the velocity you want with that payload, Green Dot, American Select, International, PB something along those lines are much more usable.

So, how am I supposed to use that pound of Loudshot I bought? Heavy loads for my 12 ga? Donate it to the gun club auction?
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:40 pm  Reply with quote

Dave,

If I answer a question, I give the best possible answer I can Dave. Truth of the matter is the 2 powders the OP bought did not fit the application. I will lie the next time if it would make you feel better.

How did you get involved in this I dont remember addressing anything you posted

onefunzr2
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:47 am  Reply with quote

Longshot was designed for heavy field load applications in shotshells and additional uses in handgun loads.

spr310
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:28 am  Reply with quote

Dave in Maine wrote:
Dogchaser37 wrote:

So, how am I supposed to use that pound of Loudshot I bought? Heavy loads for my 12 ga? Donate it to the gun club auction?

You could donate it to me as I'mm on a fixed income in my old age. I like that loudshot as you call it. Just load up a couple of hulls with it and shoot them off just at dusk. Just like fireworks coming out of the muzzle. And it does make good 1 1/8oz loads in the federal hulls.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:40 pm  Reply with quote

britgun wrote:
wow... thanks a lot. I was just about to buy a tub o' powder.... guess I'll make it green dot.... how bout a 20ga wafer thin overshot card? Would that make it crimp OK?

Duncan

Doubt it. 20 ga wads won't fit in the bottom of a 16 ga wad shot cup. The cups have an approximately 1/2 inch I.D. 20 ga wads are nearly 5/8 inch in diameter.

Here's an idea. Save your styrofoam meat packing trays and use a piece of 1/2 I.D. brass or copper tubing with a sharpened edge to cut the wads yourself. The trays are about the right thickness for useful wads. Consider it a smart way of recycling scrap foam plastic. Very Happy
DanLee
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:23 pm  Reply with quote

britgun wrote:

Overshot cards on top of the shot are the way to go. I use 17 grains of Green Dot with SG16 wads for my 7/8 oz loads in Cheddite and RGL hulls. They keep the crimp petals from digging into the shot and opening a hole. I use 28-gauge overshot cards, but 32 and 20 will also work. Or you could go all the way and use a 16-gauge card!

Dan
britgun
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:01 pm  Reply with quote

DanLee wrote:
britgun wrote:

Overshot cards on top of the shot are the way to go. I use 17 grains of Green Dot with SG16 wads for my 7/8 oz loads in Cheddite and RGL hulls. They keep the crimp petals from digging into the shot and opening a hole. I use 28-gauge overshot cards, but 32 and 20 will also work. Or you could go all the way and use a 16-gauge card!

Dan

What kind of pressures are you runnin in that load, at what velocity? Thanks,

Duncan
DanLee
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:40 pm  Reply with quote

The recipe is from a Hercules (Alliant) data booklet for a 1 oz load of shot. Pressure is reported at 9700psi and velocity at 1165fps. Knocking the shot charge back to 7/8 oz will lower the pressure and up the velocity, but I don't know how much. It still cycles my 1100.

Dan
spr310
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:48 pm  Reply with quote

britgun
check out the links at the bottom of my post. You should be able to find some loads you can use.