16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  new to 16s
m856021
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:00 pm  Reply with quote

I recently purchased a 1950 16 GA model 37 and finally got to take it out and shoot some clays . This is the first 16 GA I have ever owned or shot and right away it became my favorite gun .
so I just wanted to say hi since I found this site and you now have another 16 GA fan .
great site you have here also
Very Happy
hoashooter
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:51 pm  Reply with quote

WELCOME--Don't forget to save the empty hulls.You'll soon want to start loading this great gauge Wink
3DocPop
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:40 pm  Reply with quote

Welcome to you! My first 16 was also a Model 37, made in 1956 - same year I was born. Just got it in early Jan, and think it is a great gun. Be careful, not only can the reloading bug hit you, you may find that one 16 ga is not enough Very Happy
Grousen
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:24 pm  Reply with quote

Congratulations on obtaining a vintage Ithaca Model 37 in 16 gauge. I also just this year acquired a Model 37R (solid rib) in 16 gauge made in 1952, within a couple of months of my birth. I've had many pumps, but never in 16 gauge before this one. I was truly amazed at the sweet feel, swing, and slick action this gun has. I initially bought it as a rain gun backup to my 16 gauge O/U, but after having it restored, and seeing how wonderfully it points and swings, I may have to buy another "rain gun". Welcome to 16ga.com and good luck with your new old gun.
Grousen
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:26 pm  Reply with quote

P.S. I forgot to ask, what part of Ohio are you from, and what part of the state do you do most of your bird hunting in?
m856021
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:45 am  Reply with quote

I live south east of Columbus . so most of my hunting, shooting fishing is in Fairfield and Hockin counties .I dont get to hunt a lot now days . mostly shoot clays when I can
I kind of have a thing for the model 37's this is my 4th one but first 16 .
so yes you can bet I will be getting more than one in 16 GA
next I will be putting it in the hands of my sons and telling them .. just try a 16 once and see how you like it . I figure that is about all it will take
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:48 am  Reply with quote

The 16 ga. Model 37 is one of those guns where everything just comes together nicely to make up a fine shooting piece. The weight, and size all match the gauge. The gun is light enough to be easy to carry, and quick to the shoulder yet not so light as to be whippy. It also has about the smoothest, easiest, and quickest pump stroke of any hand shucker going
(regardless of the Winchester folks' opinion to the contrary). I'd say you are off to a good start. Good luck with this gun and welcome aboard this whacky little ship. Smile