16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Reloading Shells for Skeet
mbfreeman
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:32 pm  Reply with quote

Hey all,

I inherited a 16ga automatic shotgun from my father after he passed away. I was wondering how much it would cost to get started at reloading your own ammo.

I have done it before back when I was in the boy scouts and would like to do it again.

Another question:
How much does it actually cost per box if you reload the ammo on your own?

QUestion 3:
DOes anyone have a good reloader they recommend? Is it just a one product that you can buy that has everything you need?

Thanks,

Mark
hoashooter
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:52 pm  Reply with quote

Depending on the load you will save $1.50 to ten or more per box.A Mec 600 or Sizemaster are single stage loader should suit you fine.Start with a flat of Remington Game Loads and go from there.www.mecreloaders.com
chilly460
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:46 pm  Reply with quote

You should be able to pick up a MEC 600jr for $110 or so, and then be able to make the shells for around $3.00/box at today's prices which are a bit on the high side. More importantly, you won't have to go search for shells and you'll be able to tailor loads to your liking.
mbfreeman
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:20 am  Reply with quote

Thanks guys!

I will look into it.

Where is a good place to buy the hulls and all the other parts to make the shells?

-Thanks
chilly460
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:57 am  Reply with quote

Personally, I prefer to buy Remington Game Loads at WalMart (when I find them) and shoot them up, then use the hulls. At $4.47/box, it's a pretty good deal. I also have done very well by checking Dick's Sporting Goods, they will have the Game Loads at $3.99/box and then you get a 10% discount if you buy 10 boxes, so $3.50 box with the discount.

Components can be found at local gun shops, which I prefer to avoid shipping costs on heavy items like lead shot. Also avoids the Hazmat charges placed on gunpowder and primers.

Otherwise, I don't have a great deal of experience buying online other then www.grafs.com

If you have a Cabela's, Bass Pro Shops, or Gander Mountain locally...they'll carry reloading supplies.
TJC
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:06 am  Reply with quote

chilly,
I just bought 2 cases at Dick's the other day. They had them for $3.79 minus 10%. ????????

I use these for trap and sporting clays.

I really have to think about starting to load for these 16 ga's I've got. Rolling Eyes

chilly460
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:43 am  Reply with quote

$3.99 is the normal price from what I've seen, but they do run specials. $3.79 plus the discount is a great buy.

If I could find the Game Loads all the time in #7.5 and #8 shot, I don't think I'd have to reload. But, it's pretty erratic finding the small shot for a good price, so I like the idea of having a reloader available. I'm dropping by a Dick's today to see what they have available.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:40 pm  Reply with quote

I would look at a MEC Grabber progressive press. It is about $240 on average, has the collet type shell sizer of the Sizemaster which is the best way to resize steel rimmed 16 ga. shells, and is 5 times faster and also easier to reload on. You make the same three moves to load a shell every time-- insert shell, insert wad, pull the handle. Done. Out comes a shell. The single stage reloader requires seven sequenced moves to load one shell. One false move and you start over. The Grabber is also not any harder to set up or adjust, because you have to set up each station on either type of machine. both types are adjusted the same way too. Plus, each shell can be removed and replaced from the first 4 stations to varify the resizing depriming, the powder drop, the reprime, the wad seating, the shot drop etc. You should do a lot of that at first too in order to learn. The Grabber just appears to be more complicated. It really isn't once you understand the machine. It will save you a ton of time in the long haul, more time for shooting, and other stuff. and its also safer to reload on because there is less chance for human error involved.

I would also invest in an inexpensive powder scale to certify what your shot bar and powder bushings are actually throwing. Its useful info to have and you won't be loading on blind faith alone. Believe me, none of those bushings are even close; they all drop too light for liability reasons. Too little can be as bad or worse than too much. An undetected stuck wad in your barrel from a squib load will wreck your gun more surely than a grain or two of powder over in the average shot shell. The powder scale will keep you out of trouble either way.

Finally, buy your reloading componants in bulk. It will say you both time and money. Don't do this until you know what will work and what won't, but once you find a suitable load that you will shoot a bunch of, go bulk.

There is a lot of knowledge to be gleaned here at this site so pick those brains for everything you can. Good luck.