16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Who Has the last model 21?
cedar16
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:29 am  Reply with quote

I've always wanted one, have handled a few--they are heavier than most similar sxs of same gauge and bbl length. About 15 years ago, I spent a couple days hunting SD pheasants with a guy who had inherited his father's 12 ga. It had 30-inch barrels, but I was amazed at how smoothly it came to my shoulder. That gun probably weighed 8 lbs, but it didn't feel like it. I'm sure it would feel like 8 pounds after carrying it all day though--pretty gun, custom shop as I recall. I could live with a 16 ga that wasn't more than a smidgen over 7 lbs. I remember Gene Hill writing that he once owned a 16 with 28-inch barrels choked win skeet 1&2 and that he regretted selling it.
fin2feather
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:01 am  Reply with quote

I've always liked them and have always thought of them as one of the 4 or 5 classic American double guns. I think the rather plain look of the field grades is especially appealing, but then I'm not much of a "fancy" gun guy. To me, a M21 (probably in 12 guage Mad ) would be the quintessential waterfowl gun; rather have my Fox 16 for upland, though!

Fin

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
Citori16
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:55 am  Reply with quote

Sounds like the 16ga M21 would be a nice clays gun, if you like the look (& fit, of course).

As for American Classic SXS's in 16 ga, off the top of my head my "preferred/desired" list would look something like this:

1 LC Smith
2 Ithaca Flues/NID
2.5 Fox (non-Savage)
3 Parker
4 Lefever/Baker
5 Win M21/24
6 Crescent
7 Savage/Stevens

I just base this on the idea that I would even-trade my Flues for an Elsie, maybe for a Fox, but not for a Lefever or anything else lower.

mod11rem
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:57 am  Reply with quote

$10-15000 shotguns, for me are kind of like $250 bottles of wine. Both get the job done, but I really can't tell the difference.

In love and on the range the same comment applies "it ain't the gun, it's the shooter"

budrichard
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:37 pm  Reply with quote

To set the record straight, the now closed Winchester plant hasn't made a Model 21 since the 1990's.
The last "Custom Built by Winchester" Model 21 was manufactured in 1983 by Winchester-Olin.
After 1983, USRAC was licensed by Olin to use the Winchester name and purchased the plant from Olin. USRAC made a few 21's that are 'Custom Built Winchester' on the rib.
Tony Galazan of CSMC acquired the tooling from USRAC but not the Winchester name from Olin and still manufactures Model 21's starting at $10K. He was also making a few Winchester 21's licensed by Olin that started at $75K when they were offered. Since USRAC is now defunct, it looks like there will be no more Winchester 21's. The last group went on the auction block this year.
Winchester 21 collectors generally don't deal in USRAC guns.
The Winchester Custom Shop functioned under Olin from 1960 to 1983.The 21's out of the Custom Shop during that period numbered about 1000. If you ever get the chance to view and handle one, you will understand why they are sought after. They are the pinnicle of American firearm manufacturing. Winchester produced some very nice 21's before the Custom Shop era but few are as fine as a Custom Shop one.-Dick
Paul Dwight
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:26 am  Reply with quote

I've purchased two CSMC Model 21s from Tony Galazan. Both were 16 gauge and both were outstanding shotguns. I sold them both when it quickly became apparent that I shoot an O/U much better than a SXS. They were too expensive to just admire and not shoot.

Paul Dwight