16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Wheel weights
b.randzin
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 12:17 pm  Reply with quote

I recently acquired 80 lbs of wheel weights to be melted down for reloading. At no cost by the way. Any recommendations for seperating the lead from the metal, break them apart or melt the whole weight and seperate the metal. I have never done it, so any ideas would be appreciated.

Bruce
Keith B
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 12:40 pm  Reply with quote

Just throw them in the pot to be melted down. The steel clips will float to the top, then just skim them off along with the other trash. Flux the melt and cast into ingots. They will the be ready for casting.

Keith B
woodcock
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 12:40 pm  Reply with quote

I have made it a practice to melt the entire weight. Then skim the surface of the molten lead with a ladle, spoon, etc. to collect the steel clips (used to keep the weights in place while on your wheels) as well as to remove the 'scum' which will accumulate as a result of other trash/imputrities and oxidation. Discard this junk.
The molten lead can then be poured into molds and cooled to provide manageable sized ingots for whatever.
Do this outside--there will be fumes. Don't plan to use whatever 'tools' you use in this process for anything else. I'd wear heavy jeans/shirt/gloves while working with the stuff--remember lead melts at about 460(?) degrees. Many of us do this but IT IS A DANGEROUS PROCESS. TAKE CARE.
It's been a while since I've done any bullet, decoy weight or blackjack molding so I hope I haven't forgotten anything.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 3:01 pm  Reply with quote

Be DAMN careful not to let any form of water get into the molten lead-including drops of sweat-also be aware of insects.Once while melting weights to make shot a moth flew into our molten lead and a nice explosion occured in about 10 seconds.Luckily we were on a refreshment break and were far enough away to not be hit with any of the flying lead. Shocked Shocked
3DocPop
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 5:17 pm  Reply with quote

A couple of additional suggestions from my days running a milling machine making radiator tubes, with molten lead.

1. Wear gloves, but MAKE SURE they are not synthetic such as nylon. I still have the scars from more than 20 years ago! I would recommend welding gloves if you have them, leather or cotton if not.

2. Make sure that whatever tool you are using to skim the dross has heated up to somewhere near the temperature of the molten lead. If you do not, the lead will act like water in hot cooking oil. See above about the scars.

3. Do not get in a hurry. My accident happened my very last night on that job, was cleaning my mill out, and did not properly pre-heat the skimmer. Set it in the lead, which popped or exploded, got on my nylon glove (company wanted to save money!). Glove promptly melted and stuck to my hand. 3rd degree burns, thankfully in a very localized area.
3DocPop
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 5:19 pm  Reply with quote

Whoops, forgot what is probably the most important one! As Norm says, Always wear eye protection!

Good luck on your project!

3DocPop
rayb
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 4:58 am  Reply with quote

Mekt them in batches, then skim the clips and dross, flux frequently

Eye protection

Ventilation

Leather workgloves

long sleeve cotton shirt

Long cotton pants that go over and cover your shoes

preheat ladles, etc

take your time

wash up afterwards

rayb

longwalker
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 12:52 am  Reply with quote

I'll second the "no water" comment. I never even thought about insects before. Must add them to my mental "watch out for" list while casting.
I have a 3" long x 2" wide scar on my right arm from a youthful experiment - cooling a mould with water and then pouring another fishing sinker. Makes a real nice little explosion of molten lead!

b.randzin
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:19 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks guys your suggestions and advice will be heeded and i appreciate the responses.

Bruce