16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  lets talk more power.....
pezman1963
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:41 am  Reply with quote

Here is some things I heard anout some possible

For 1 1/8 oz
Remington SP hull Win primer Rem SP wads
Powder 26.7 gr Blue Dot

For 1 1/8 oz Winchester AA CF hulls
Win primer Rem SP wads
Powder 26.7 gr Blue Dot

Any comments?

For once 1oz loads
15.8 or 16.6 grains of green dot Rem SP16 wad with filler or Sporting 16 wads in the Remington or Winchester Super X hulls

Any comments?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
brdhnt
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:35 am  Reply with quote

Pezman,

I have used both of the Blue Dot loads with 1 1/8th of either copper or nickel plated #5's for pheasants. They have worked very well, but they are not a load that I would like to shoot a lot. They thump on both ends!

The one ounce load with Green Dot works well with the R-16 wad or a felt wad in the base of the SP-16 wad. I have used this also with a 28 gauge felt wad in the base of the R-16 and 7/8th ounce of shot.

In the black Remington case, I like 18.5 grains of Hodgden Universal with the R-16 wad and either one ounce of shot or 7/8th with a filler. Hodgen gives 8800 PSI with the one ounce load and it chronos at 1192 average with one ounce and 1258 with 7/8th. Nice soft shooting load.

TMB
________
Marijuana seeds

Last edited by brdhnt on Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:37 am; edited 1 time in total
hoashooter
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:28 pm  Reply with quote

Are you looking for a heavy hunting load?Try the Federal hull Wink
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:23 am  Reply with quote

I agree with Bird Hunter on the Hodgdon Universal or Alliant Unique for 1 ounce hunting loads. Both powders are extremely close in preformance. They are not interchangable as they have slightly different densities, but the pressure to velocity ratios are nearly identical and will work the best, especially in the Remington hulls with the R16 wad or the SP-16 and 28 ga card wads in the shotcup. The Lyman Shotshell Reloading manual has these loads listed. Check them out.

HOA is also right. The Alliant manual has a corker listed in their 16 ga loads based on the Federal hull, an SP-16 wad, and Blue Dot. Its a 1-1/4 ounce short magnum load. Its devestating on late season Pheasant in high winds and very cold blustery days. I use #4 shot with this one. Pellet count is minimal but a good tight full choke takes care of that problem. You can also use #5 shot to fill out the pattern nicely. However, those big #4 pellets can't be beat for the penetration needed on rear end shots at big, fat, heavily plummaged late season cock birds with the wind in their tails. I've never had a well centered bird fly away from this baby.
16GAwaterfowler
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:51 am  Reply with quote

If your looking for real screamers with your loads, then Hodgdon Longshot is the next level up from all other powders. The listed Winchester Polyformed hull 1 oz loads that are said to be 1500 fps chronograph out around 1475 fps, which is darn close. Devastating on birds, and for some strange reason Longshot loads pattern very well even 1600 fps loads have done well for us. I have taken Doves with longshot loads at very very long ranges, longer than I would normally shoot with a 16 ga.. Give it a try
16GAwaterfowler
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:05 am  Reply with quote

I have tried this one and would like to know the trick as to making it fit in the hull with larger shot. I can't get it to work without crushing the hull.
The Lyman listed HS-7 1 1/4 oz load works better for me, although it comes up a bit short so I put a thin spacer in the bottom of the shotcup and get much better crimps.
Want to try the ultimate in long range loads....give #6 or 5 Hevishot a whirl . With 1 1/4 loads using the BP MM16 wads we take large late season mallards at ranges up to 45 yards. Really makes the 16 ga very versatile, I prefer it in the duck blind over my 12 ga guns now.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:42 pm  Reply with quote

The secret to longshot, or any slower powder is the steady ever, increasing push the shot column gets up the barrel instead of a hard slap on the rump with less follow up. I don't know why it works but it does. The same phenomenon is seen int 1-1/8 ounce trap loads. Red Dot, 700X, and Clays tend to slap the shot column out of the barrel, while powders like PB, Green Dot, and International clays tend to shove it out with a longer power stroke. The Green dot type loads have a very nicely formed center core in the pattern that grinds up clay targets out at the far reaches, yet also have nice overall shot distribution. The Red dot type loads work for skeet targets, but the green dot loads are much better for trap targets.

Its an ill kept secret that Remington has used about 18.5 grains (plus or minus .2 grains for lot to lot variation) of non-canister grade Geen Dot in its 2-3/4 dram, 1-1/8 ounce STS-Premier target loads for years now. These loads are considered the bench mark of the industry in uniformity, mild recoil, and effective target smashing patterns. Now you know why.

Its a matter of balancing the burn speed of the powder to the load it must push. for instance, 7/8 ounce and 1 ounce 12 ga loads pattern very nicely with Red Dot, 700X, or Clays. Green Dot does not distribute the shot as well in these lighter loads and the shot tends to clump up in the center core. So its kind of a balancing act. However, when you hit a good balance of burn speed and shot weight in any given gauge, the results are immediately impressive both on clays and game birds.

I used the same principal when I came up with my favorite 16 ga, 7/8 ounce load based on Green Dot. 16ga. being slightly smaller than 12 ga with less bore expansion, I summized that Green Dot would act very similar to Red Dot would in 1 ounce 12 ga. loads. 16 to 16.5 grains or GD under 7/8 ounce of shot worked out nicely, and I ended up with a fine target and light hunting load with less recoil than a 1 ounce load.