16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  16g. Parker Putz Society
Parker Trojan
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:56 pm  Reply with quote

Parker, Elsie, Fox, Savage BSE- I've got some of each; much to common to start a society over. I have an 1885[?] vintage Colton damascus hammerless sidelock made in Toledo, Ohio. I therefore name myself the Undocumented Grand Poobah of the Loyal Order Of Colton Society.Any other prospective members Question Do you think that we ALL have too much spare time in the off season Question Question Question
XVIgauge
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:13 am  Reply with quote

The rev is trying to sneak in a sterly disguised as a BSE by gluing a vent rib on it. Come on rev, be honest.
What about a Darne society? I don't have one but a guy at our club does. I just can't get used to looking at the darn (no pun intended) thing. But, there must be a few Darne lovers out there. You are right PT, we do have too much spare time in the off season. But, it is better than taking up golf.
I suppose fly fishing would be ok.
XVI

hunshatt
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:50 am  Reply with quote

vxi, how about flyfishing for tuna? I've got the tuna thing going up here,hadn't thought about the fly part, usually save that for strippers.

Come on Tjc, my boot lickin lab never get far enough out to flush em.

Damm dog knows when to take advantage. Kathi's downyour neck of the woods for Easter. So I get a nice steak, and a small bottle of knob creek small batch(in honour of our southern friends), and Beau. Good station on teh stereo, a little tv and early to bed 11:00ish, well I wake up this am with beau lying at my feet, on the bed, he never does that, as Kathi won't have any part of it.
Rotten little lab

Last edited by hunshatt on Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:02 am; edited 1 time in total
TJC
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:28 am  Reply with quote

What can I say, he's a lab. Very Happy

hunshatt
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:03 am  Reply with quote

Just finished cleaning all the guns, AGAIN. This going to be along off season. When does boating start up here??
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:28 am  Reply with quote

TJC and hunshatt: best part of the fall hunting road trip season is the dog getting to sleep in bed with you! (til he pukes up something long dead he ate in the field Confused)
OK-the challenge has been issued and I know some guys (Bro Larry) have no gene pecuniaire in admiting to wearing lace and shooting FRENCH guns: Chapius, Charlin, Darne, what else??? Ah, Paris in the springtime: students rioting and the smell of burning tires and tear gas Sad
Brad6260
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:03 am  Reply with quote

Congratulations Drew,

Just when I thought you'd managed to insult every gun on our continent with the exception of your beloved Sterlingworth you redeem yourself by simply jumping to another continent.

I'm sure there's some poor schmuck over in Australia who labored long and hard at his bench that you can go after next.

Throw another Drew on the Barbi !

P.S.- I will cut you a little slack because I try to buy nothing French in my household.
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:39 am  Reply with quote

You're right Brad. I just feel terrible. Off to church with lots to confess (esp. the one about 16GG X-dressing and you and your brother KyBrad being the moonshine twins Rolling Eyes)
Gonna have to work on finding a way to insult the British Commonwealth Laughing
Parker Trojan
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:03 am  Reply with quote

16gg: Never took up golf; couldn't find any good recipes for the balls!
revdoc: My doctor/hunting partner just e-mailed me; wants to start the Webley and Scott Society.
Happy Easter all- I'm going fishing Laughing Laughing
TJC
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:04 am  Reply with quote

Hey, I can join the Webley society. I got one. Even if mine is a break top .38 S&W cal. and not a shotgun. Very Happy

revdocdrew
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:15 am  Reply with quote

Interesting stuff from another Forum by a Parker author, Ed Muderlak:

Parker people are fortunate to have ample reading materal. I believe every PGCA member ought to have as an entry level minimum:

Peter Johnson's book, Parker: America's Finest Shotgun;

Larry Baer's The Parker Gun: An Imortal American Classic;

Mike McIntosh's The Best Shotguns Ever Made in America;

Parker Guns: The "Old Reliable" by EDM; and

The Parker Story by Price, Mullins, Gunther and Parker III

None of these books got everything right, nor do any of them exhaust the possibilities. I delayed gratification by leaving my two vol. set of TPS in shrink wrap till January 2006, when the manuscript for "Shooting Flying: Parker Guns and the American Experience" was complete except for some cut-and-paste rearranging and editing. I didn't want to be influenced by other people's work. Having now read the epic tome twice, it is flat out remarkable how there is virtually zero cross-over of information.

The Parker Story is told from an insider's point of view--Shooting Flying is from the outside sometimes looking in, while surveying the surroundings, and comparing contemporary fine shotguns to the Old Reliable"--I analyze the Ethan Allen, Wesson, Roper, Whitney, Boyd & Tyler, Maynard, N. R. Davis, Lefever, Remington-Whitmore, Baker, Original Fox (mid-1870s), Colt, Winchester 21, A. H. Fox, L. C. Smith a several others, explaining what worked and what wound up in the attic or junk heap and why.

"Apple Pie versus Spotted Dick" is a chapter that compares English one-off gunmaking to the American Interchangable System; the British Lord of the Manor in contrast to American coonskin republicans, with the Parker gun as the dominant theme that binds it all together.

The idea is to appeal to dyed-in-the-wool Parker people while broadening interest to the guys who, for one reason or another, like the guns of other makers. An L. C. Smith collector told me at Sanford a few years ago that he liked Parker Guns: The "Old Reliable" because much of it applied without regard to the maker. Gun Cranks are always looking for something new; I own Brophy's L. C. Smith book, and McIntosh's Fox book, among others. Thus my new book is calculated have even wider appeal, which means more sales that converts to a larger print run, and, in turn, the economies of scale keep the retail price where novice collectors are comfortable spending their hard earned $$$$--or at least that's the plan. EDM

old16
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:54 am  Reply with quote

revdocdrew wrote:
16g Smith Society-sounds great. Very Happy Any other LCers out there? Pete? Come on now-hunshatt admitted to being run around by a lab! Wink

I could go for that one. Now your beginnig to talk real sxs's. Sorry about the Dogs. I've got a Poodle, Scottie Terrier, and Golden Retriever. All 3 love the couch and animal planet.