16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Japanese Model 12 Inquiry
grouse gunner
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:07 pm  Reply with quote

Ok guys , here I go with an off-gauge question again but I know the knowledge is present on this site and I am a true .662 man so I thought I'd ask anyway and perhaps get a few quick opinions. I have been procastinating on sending a special thanks for all of the valuable help in the past so I'll do that now! Many of you have given me invaluable info. on this site in the past on issues that were potentially very expensive. I only was able to make the right decisions because of your help (on a Perazzi for example and also other issues. Special thanks to 16GG, Shooting Sioux and others I unfortunately can't recall right now on the Perazzi issue. Personal pm thank you's are forthcoming). The knowledge available on this site amazes me. Thanks again.

Rest assured, 99% of my clay and live bird shooting is with a 16ga. model 12 and that is not about to change too much. I own only two real quality guns and if I could keep only one, it would be likely be the 16 (the other is a well worn and tattered Belgian Browning Superlight in 12 ga. ic/mod with significant sentimental value attached). Neither is leaving my possession until I meet my maker.

My question is this: Because of a unique occasional informal competition I participate in, I need to aquire a 28 ga. pump. I'm in no great hurry and will not act on impulse but am investigating a possible lead that could possibly develop quickly.

I can not afford an original 28 ga. model 12 and am only aware of the 870, Jap model 12, and BPS in that guage. Any thoughts on Jap model 12? Have'nt had a chance to research them much nor handle much. Just fishing for any experiences, comments, prices, opinions etc. on that gun.

Remember, It will just be supplementing my 16!

What do you think?

Thanks in advance.

Grouse Gunner.
XVIgauge
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:31 pm  Reply with quote

Grouse gunner,
I have a Browning Japanese made 28 gauge Model 12. I really love it. I have hunted dove, quail, squirrels, and game farm pheasants w/ it and it is a bird slayer. I also shoot skeet w/ it from time to time.
It comes w/ a fixed modified choke, but I sent mine to Briley and had tubes installed.
It functions great. I have put hundreds of rounds through it w/ nary a hiccup. The only problem I have had w/ it, if you call it a problem is that it seems to only like Winchester or Remington shells, either factory or reloads. Anything else will hang up from time to time. I bought mine NID for just a tad over $500. They are out there.
XVI

grouse gunner
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:01 pm  Reply with quote

XVI Gauge,

Thanks a bunch for the input. I love my 16 ga. model 12 and the 28 will only be for skeet. It's what I want but just not sure this one I'm going to look at is the right one. Price is unestablished at this time and it may be a bit overpriced. I plan on shooting it a long time but just don't wan't to over pay. I'm fair, just uncertain on what they're worth.

Please check your pm's.

Thanks.
87016ga
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:14 pm  Reply with quote

grouse gunner:
i had a jap 12 in 28ga and it also came with fixed mod choke. i bored it out to skeet and shot rem sts factory and reloads in it just fine...
my only problem was if i had too light of a handload i had to do the old "push-pull" model 12 owners are aware of. 870's are much more forgiving that way Laughing
if given another chance i would buy one in 20ga (ammo's a helluva lot cheaper)
bought mine for 525.00 and sold it 2 yrs later for 550.00
grouse gunner
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:46 pm  Reply with quote

870 16 ga.,

Thanks. Price is still undetermined on the I'll soon see. How long ago did you sell yours and what kind of shape was it in? I think this one's starting price might be a bit higher than 550. I'm fair and not cheap. Just ignorant of the market and don't want to make a mistake. I am aware of the cost issues with the 28 vs. 20, but need a 28 for the competitions I enter occasionally. It's my only vice (that I'll admit to)! I do not have to have this particular gun but don't want to needlessly drag out the process due to ignorance. I do know I want this model. I know the 870's are great. I'vre owned two and use one at work. But for me and skeet, the model 12 fels significantly better. I don't like having to pay for choke work but there's no question the 12 feels better so I'll eat the expense of that if I end up getting it done.

What do you think?
Haiwee
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:29 pm  Reply with quote

If you can wait a while, another choice might be a new Ithaca M37. They plan to introduce a 28Ga version on a dedicated small frame as early as November (which probably means February Laughing )
87016ga
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:40 pm  Reply with quote

gg:
i bought mine about 8 yrs ago and sold it 6yrs ago......to finance another "had to have toy" Shocked used it grouse hunting twice, but then restricted its use to skeet and 5-stand.....much too pretty to beat-up in the woods. it was in a solid 95%+ when i sold it.
as far as choke work goes i belive it cost me only $30.00 Question
you might want to check out the asking prices on gunbroker and guns america and get a handle for "market value" as they say and base your decision on that.
... buy the way, mine was a grade 1. i believe they went up to grade 5..

p.s. what do you do for work that you shoot an 870?
grouse gunner
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:15 pm  Reply with quote

Haiwee,

The model 37 info. is interesting. I had forgotten about that. I will still grab a model 12 if the right gun and deal come up and I'll check out the 37 when it is out. I can always sell the 12 if I buy it right and happen to like the 37 better. I've always appreciated the 37 design and workmanship but they just never felt as good to me as a model 12. My 16 ga. model 37 experience is limited however, with just one clays foray. The 37's I've used were mostly 12 ga. It's purely a matter of individual "feel". I need a pump for skeet and the model 12 is probably heavier and might suit me better in that regard. We had the 37's at work too and eventually replaced them with 870's. The 37's appeared to have plum tuckered out. But they were old and had been used hard for a long time. Either one is a fine gun. Thanks for the tip. I'llbe watching that development.

87016ga,

To answer your question, I'm a city cop. That in and of itself is not any great issue. It just slipped out. I'm not ashamed of it nor forgetting the fact that each person is of no more or less value or importance than any other regardless of occupation or other legimate classification in life. I've no hubris about it either. We're all in this together.

The 12 I'm going to look at could possibly stall just a bit higher than what yours sold for 6 years ago and is supposed to be95-98+ condition. It's the standard modified grade 1. I'll look at the sites you mentioned but there is not much action there with this model.

Regards and thanks again.
Grousen
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:58 pm  Reply with quote

Hey Grouse Gunner,
You wouldn't by any chance be known as "Bubba", whom I have shot with at Greenville Sportmens Club, would you? Just curious as I am also a grouse addict, and a retired/re-employed cop as well, also in northeast Ohio. It sure can be a small world at times.

Best regards,
Grousen, aka Warren
XVIgauge
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:11 am  Reply with quote

Grouse gunner,
Send me your e-mail address. Sometimes, my pm message sender from this forum does not work. I sent you a long pm last night and it did not take. All that typing for nothing. my e-mail address: Locklabs@aol.com
XVI

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:01 am  Reply with quote

Grouse gunner, I know of and have handled and shot several of these Miroku made model 12 reissue guns. Some were marketed with the Browning logo and some under the Winchester name. All of them are extremely well made. Some feel they are better done than the original model 12 guns. Knowing the typical good workmanship form Miroku, I would agree. They are definately smoother out of the box than most of the original standard grade Model 12 guns were.

However, for some reason, the Browning marked guns bring less than the ones with the Winchester logo. Go figure. They all come form Miroku. This bit of info might help you get a beeter price if the gun has the Browning mark on it. Check out the gun value books and make a few calls to determine what the going prices are.

I would not wait for the Ithaca 28 ga gun if you can get the model 12-28 ga. at a decent price. If after you get it, you can get the other and keep the best one. A bird in the hand..., good luck.