16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Options for Polychoke Removal
model97
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:21 pm  Reply with quote

Greetings,

Well not really a 16 gauge question, but I hope for some guidance,

I am the curator/custodian of 3 Model 12s ( 2 12 gauges, one 20 gauge) that have been fitted with Polychokes.

I would perfer to have "plain" barrel Model 12s.

One of the guns has significant emotional value ( a 12 gauge--my first gun ever--a birthday present in 1972) and the option of selling it and getting another is not a good choice.

I've looked for replacement barrrels in various internet sites--not much luck.

So the question is, are there any Winchester gunsmiths that would be willing to take off a Polychoke, and jug choke the residual barrel, or are there options for cutting the Polychoke off, and having some choke in the residual barrel? If so, who are they? I would appreciate any contact information.

Or, anyone want to sell me a 12 and 20 gauge Model 12 barrel in modified or improved cylinder, 26 inches in length?

Thanks.

Tom

!897 16 gauge owner, Sweet 16 owner, LC Smith 16 guage lightweight field owner.
skeettx
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:27 pm  Reply with quote

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WINCHESTER-MODEL-12-12-GAUGE-FIELD-BARREL-/181001624747?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a24899cab

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:06 pm  Reply with quote

Frankly, if the Polychokes on your barrels have been properly installed in line with the bores, and aren't causing any horizontal pattern shift or excessive vertical shift (a little can be lived with), I'd leave them in place and learn to use them. These older choke devices can be pretty handy to have available for covering the different conditions the average repeating shotgunner encounters.

IMO, these older adjustable devices have made a lot of sense for field work to quite a few shotgunners for a long time. Keep in mind that these old choke devices are a lot quicker and easier to adjust in the field than trying to change out a choke tube with a wrench in the excitement of the hunt. A simple twist of the outer tube is all it takes to change the choke and your shot pattern. On the other hand, it's not at all quick and easy to change out choke tubes even under average field conditions (let alone when it's cold and/or wet and your hands are almost numb). It's not too difficult to misplace or drop and lose the wrench and the tubes in the weeds. I've never seen a Polychoke fall off a barrel and get lost once it's been properly installed.

These older choke devices were factory standard equipment or could be special ordered from the factory as an option on a fair number of older repeaters. I believe this includes the Winchester Model 12. So it may not be wise to assume the Polychoke on an older repeater barrel is an after market addition. You may be degrading an original by having it cut off. You certainly won't be restoring any collector value by shortening the barrels either. I suggest you at least do some research before having them cut off and then carefully think it through. I don't think you'll be gaining a thing.
Doggai
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:44 am  Reply with quote

The breadth of the suggestions from 16gaugeguy are worthy of your consideration. There are a lot of Model 12 barrels on the used gun market which are priced at least what it is going to cost you to remove the Pc unit and then look for someone to do a decent stump choke on your shortened barrel. If I were a gunsmith with plenty of work, it would look like a problem asking to be developed. You and he/she could suddenly be lifelong friends if the stump choke did not work out to your "satisfaction".

Here's the final thought. If, after the removal of the Pc and the stump choked gun doesn't shoot where you want it, the solution to the problem is buying another barrel. Will you buy it or will you badger the unlucky 'smith to buy you a barrel because the job turned out sour????

So, why go through the time and expense of removing the Pc and get a lot of headaches to boot???? IMHO.

Browning Double Auto Twelvette
Browning Double Auto Twentyweight
Remington 1100 12 2 barrels
Charles Daly SxS 28
Gil S
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:56 am  Reply with quote

Over at shotgunworld, Ithaca section, a fellow displayed an old M37 that had been cut-off (barrel) to shorten overall length. The barrel was subsequently threaded for screw in chokes and extended non-ported chokes added two inches to the overall length and it was pleasing in appearance and versatile to boot. Same could be done to your guns after cutting off the polychoke. I'd learn to love the guns as is, but the above is another option.
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:01 am  Reply with quote

Barrels were bent up when a Poly was installed (Straightened, in Poly-Choke speak) and simply removing one will get you a gun that shoots pretty high.

I like the advise of buying another gun without a Poly installed.

Best,
Ted

model97
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:28 am  Reply with quote

I appreciate the thoughts, they brought up issues I did not consider. The barrel on EBay is tempting.
Leicadave
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:11 pm  Reply with quote

I'd also suggest that you call Polychoke and talk to them about this idea.

Then, also talk to Mike Orlen who could probably do the whole job including a jug choke if you'd choose to cut off the barrel and install tubes or a jug choke.

I just bought a 37 with a ventilated rib and polychoke, and have had a couple put on working guns. Like their versatality, and even their looks in the Deluxe model for sea duckin' and brant hunting, for example. By the way, polychoked guns are well marked down in price for resale, which is another reason to like them.

The folks at Polychoke give very good service and are worth talking to about this idea I'd reemphasize.

"There can be no greater issue than that of conservation in this country." Theodore Roosevelt
Winchester21
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:19 pm  Reply with quote

Just as a point of interest Polychoke now sells "Polychoke II" which has all the features of the adjustable polychoke but in a new screw-in choke tube configuration. As pointed out above, the beauty is that you can now have the versatility of a Polychoke but don't have to have anything permanently mounted on the barrel.
Leicadave
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:47 pm  Reply with quote

Yes, even have a Polychoke II on an A-5 but haven't used it. Read some reviews which said it didn't work very well but no definitive opinion or experience.

"There can be no greater issue than that of conservation in this country." Theodore Roosevelt
last dollar
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:01 pm  Reply with quote

Nuttin wrong with Polychokes, except they arent pretty, but neither was a Cutts. They both did the job...I'd keep em as is...Out of fashion, but effective....
Lon
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:03 am  Reply with quote

Simply out of curiosity, I contacted Poly Choke about the new Poly Choke II.

Here is the answer from Todd Martin at Poly Choke:

"No 16 ga Poly-Choke II’s at all, do not know if we will make any."

www.lonlauber.com
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:31 pm  Reply with quote

Leicadave wrote:
"...Read some reviews which said it didn't work very well but no definitive opinion or experience.

Most modern shotgunners of today are not familiar with Polychokes and how to properly use them. Most assume these devices are simply "dial-a-chokes" which produce the proper patterns so marked on demand. This is simply not so. Bore diameters vary so percentages of constriction willl too depending on how much constriction is actually "dialed in".

Best we get to a pattern board with the loads we'll be shooting and do some testing first. Then we will know how much constriction we should "dial in" and will have an idea of how much our patterns will be adjusted based on what we see. Beats the hell out of guessing.