16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Remington primers - another warm fuzzy from big green
16crazy
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:23 am  Reply with quote

With my primer supply low I was looking to restock. I called Midwest shooters supply. They are a huge gun/reloading store in Wisconsin. They are also a Remington dealer.

I asked about some Remington 209's and was informed that the store is out and Remington has told their dealers that Remington primers my never again be offered for sale to the public.

Of course I can and will use something else but.....I wonder about their plans for wads in the future. R16 to be exact.

Remington just makes feel all warm, like I got pissed on!

16crazt
87016ga
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:01 pm  Reply with quote

if this holds true about the primers you can be assured that the sp16 wad will disappear as well...
hoashooter
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:16 pm  Reply with quote

Switch to W209's and keep pulling the handle-The story I hear is Remington is using THEIR components for THEIR loaded ammo and the reloader is up the creek without a paddle.Now would be a good time for the faithful to stock up on SP16's also.
clayflingythingy
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:15 am  Reply with quote

I have used the Remington 209 for a long time now as my only shotshell primer. I would hate to see it disappear. Is Remington selling so much factory ammo that they need the primers or are they getting out of the reloading business altogether?
bigric
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:33 am  Reply with quote

My local shop, which is also a Remington repair center, has not had them for a while and did not foresee getting any more for quite some time. I never discussed the possibility that they would never get more in, however.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:49 am  Reply with quote

I will believe it when i see it. The Remington STS case is the most popular on the market for skeet and trap shooters across this nation. Why, beacuae it is the best reloadable hull available. This is in all gauges ( except 16 of course). They might be tweaking it for better performance or better reloading characteristics.

Remington pulling the plug on their primers would only shoot themselves right in the foot. If their CEO makes this call, then someone needs to stroll into his office and take the crack pipe out of his mouth. Rolling Eyes
pezman1963
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:02 pm  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
I will believe it when i see it. The Remington STS case is the most popular on the market for skeet and trap shooters across this nation. Why, beacuae it is the best reloadable hull available. This is in all gauges ( except 16 of course). They might be tweaking it for better performance or better reloading characteristics.

Remington pulling the plug on their primers would only shoot themselves right in the foot. If their CEO makes this call, then someone needs to stroll into his office and take the crack pipe out of his mouth. Rolling Eyes

They dropped Remington 209 and introducted the 209P
I do not know what the difference is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:31 am  Reply with quote

Yup, over 10 years ago. It's gone through several slight improvments since then. The newest version has a slightly bigger covered flash hole and a slightly longer burning primer mix. It does not significantly raise pressures, but the ignition is better and more uniform. I've been using this STS version for about three years in my main 1-1/8 ounce 12 ga. Trap load. Its a good primer. Remington might be tweaking it again for better feeding characteristics through the MEC primer feed system. They can tip over on their sides unless you use a large spring type paper clip to depress the plastic primer tray lid a bit. We shall see.