16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Good Trap day
TJC
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:08 pm  Reply with quote

I've been dabbling in the trap shooting at my local club the last 5-6 weeks. They shoot every Sunday morning. Some real die hard guys and others just there to make noise.
I've been using my Citori Feather for this and I've been shooting 86-90. Today I shot a 95 with the Feather. I felt pretty good, especially since the guys with the 12 ga. P guns and BT99's etc weren't doing any better. Smile

Ammo used was Remington Game loads in 7.5's.

87016ga
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:20 pm  Reply with quote

what was the response when the "big boys" found out you were using a 16?
TJC
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:27 pm  Reply with quote

Funny you should mention that. A couple of weeks ago I was disposing of some hulls (I know, I'm not saving them) and I had guys looking to get them from me. When they found out they were 16's, I got all kind of funny looks.
One guy today that was in all 4 of our relays was a bit amazed that it was a 16. Like I told him, I'm shooting 1 oz of shot, what difference does it make what size hole it comes out of. Very Happy

hoashooter
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:44 pm  Reply with quote

Dang T save them hulls--------that is money you are tossing away------what yardline were y'all shooting at----heck I'll buy them hulls if you don't want 'em Wink
wildweasel
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:53 pm  Reply with quote

TJC, where you shooting trap on Sundays? You know we have the exact same gun and I also have a set of Trulock chokes for my Citori Feather. I've been breaking 18-23 per round using all different loads at Chester on Thursdays. I haven't gotten out too much in June because of rain and family and stuff.

Usually using the M choke at 16 yds and the Full at 27. I did get skt1, skt2 and IC as well and was wondering how those would work at 16 yds.

I'll be use the same remington loads in 7.5 and 8. I think the 8s may be a bit better at 16 yds.
87016ga
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:54 pm  Reply with quote

tjc:
i was shooting a round of skeet with my 870 a while back. one of the shooters in the squad asked what kind of ammo i was using. when i showed him the win 16 game load, he almost had a stroke because he thought i was shooting them in a 12 gauge!
the next round we switched guns because he "hadn't shot a 16 since he was a kid" and wanted to try it........about 3 weeks later i saw him shooting trap with his late '50's era wingmaster......"first time in over 25 years" since he shot that gun.

aaaaahhhhh....the power of 1oz loads in a 16 bore, must be magic.
TJC
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:22 pm  Reply with quote

hoa,
Don't worry, I've been shown the errors of my ways. Smile I'm saving the hulls for pudelpointer. Just trying to get a fair amount for him before I ship them out. I think there's 4-500 so far. I forgot to save a few of the boxes though. Sad

wildweasel,
I'm shooting at Shongum Sportsmen Assoc. in Mansfield, just outside of Hackettstown. Probably about 20-25 minutes from you. Not sure where you live in Chester but even if it were all the way down by the Roxbury line you should still be able to get there in about 30 minutes.
If you want to try it some Sunday, let me know. I'll meet ya some where and show you where it is.

87016ga,
There is something about the 16 ga. Not sure if we'll ever get the companies to expand a lot but I think we've got a good hold on status quo for now. I might even have to start thinking about reloading for these things. Razz Nah, then pudel wouldn't get my hulls. Very Happy

pudelpointer
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:57 am  Reply with quote

TJC your one hell of a nice guy thanks. I don't listen to what those other guys say about you.
TJC
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:33 am  Reply with quote

pudelpointer wrote:
I don't listen to what those other guys say about you.

Neither do I. Wink

I got a line on another 6 cases of Rem Game Loads, if the price is right. Hopefully will know by Thurs.
Going out to do some informal clay shooting on Fri, that will be another 150 or so. Getting quite a box full of hulls and empty boxes. Very Happy

pudelpointer
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:17 pm  Reply with quote

Bass pro shops in Harrisburg PA has 2 cases left at 36.99
TJC
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:01 pm  Reply with quote

If I lived closer it wouldn't be a bad price. It would cost me another $40-50 in gas to run out there. I'm paying $36 here at the Dick's. Problem is they don't always have them.

I talked to a local Remington dealer to see if I could get him to order them for me. If they can and will for the same price as Dick's, I'll get 5-6 flats up front.