16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Ms. Elsie Smith came home with me today!
bustingclays
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:07 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen:

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Bought an L.C. Smith FW Field grade in 16 ga off Gunbroker.com this week and she was at the club when I made it there this morning. Price fit my budget and the gun fits my expectations so far. I am looking for info.

Description:

LC SMITH field GRADE on top right barrel

serial number appears to be FW S 7xxx (marked so on receiver flats, but only 7xxx on barrel flats and foreend)

chokes appear to be full and extra full (simple choke gauge)

28 inch barrels

stamped LC SMITH on sidelocks

case colored in protected places - silver others

barrels nicely (re)blued

wood also appears refinished

no large marks/scratches

double triggers

LOP about 14 1/4

drop about 2 inch

BOTH barrels on underside marked ARMOR STEEL - also bores pretty nice

I was told that it had 2 3/4 chambers

SO - HERE ARE MY QUESTIONS - puzzlements

1 - serial number 7xxx indicates 1902 year of manufacture

2 - serial number FWS7xxx indicates 1945 manufacture

If 1902 I am worried about unmarked chamber length (2 9/16??)

If 1945 assume 2 3/4

CHAMBERS are tight even with factory Remington ammo

I have not shot gun. Would you fire modern ammo in this gun?

Forcing cones look short - LOTs of metal in barrels.

My thoughts are to lengthen chambers and forcing cones and to open up chokes to sk/light mod (I shoot a LOT of skeet) and to hone out tight barrels. If I do so, will probably go to Wright's in Pinckneyville IL.

Not looking for value additions so not too worried about modifications. I am looking for nice old gun to shoot vintage skeet.

what do you think? I know there are a LOT of opinions and info here Wink

Dr. 16 Gauge
Parker Trojan
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:43 pm  Reply with quote

congratulations,I have about 10k rounds through my "Elsie" with 0 misfires. Take the gun to a good doublegun smith and discuss all of your concerns.You don't need a lot of help from "shade tree mechanics"; seek professional advise and enjoy a lot of good years with that gun.
fred lauer
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:04 pm  Reply with quote

bustingclays, As noted in your post , the serial no. on the frame gives you a 1945 production date.L.C. Smith is noted for some unorthodox ways of serial numbering their guns. I have one myself that doesn't have an S (Marlin) in the serial no., but having looked at a pile of Elsies over the years I know by the fact that it isn't marked Hunter Arms , the coarseness of the checkering , the rib heigth and overall shape of the stock; my gun was most likely an early Marlin production model made up of transition parts and the S was inadvertintly left out of the ser. no.My gun also has snug chambers. Have your chamber lgth. checked,that should give you some solid info as to production date.Also check on the LCS website. Collectors really know the details on these guns.Anyways, enjoy it and congratulations on your choice.

laxcoach
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:08 am  Reply with quote

What Fred said-----
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:46 pm  Reply with quote

bclays-heck have ol' Mann take a look at it there in the big city of P'ville or mosey over to Sparta in a month
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:51 am  Reply with quote

Your chokes are probably full and mod. L.C. smith 16 gauge guns have .650 bores instead of .662 so the chokes appear to be tighter than they really are. Make sure your choke guy Know's this before he starts.
old16
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:15 pm  Reply with quote

I have a FWS 16. I shoot it at least twice a week on skeet. I like the gun so much over my other 16's that I had it sent to briley and had tubes put in.

It will be going on the hunt with me this fall as my primary gun for grouse and quail. You made a good buy and a good choice.

You probably won't get asked from the jerkyworth ,Itchica's fluzzie's and the Darne guys. Their isn't much challange their. Parkers will give you a good run for you money and maybe a sissy-torie might come in on a good day but them other things kinda hang together behind the bushes and watch.

Go to the LC Smith society page and you will find all the information what you are looking for.

Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:10 pm  Reply with quote

Darn it I am going to have to break one of my own rules which is not to talk trash about someone elses gun (goes for wives and bird dogs too).

The only reason I keep an L. C. around is to use it as a bad example when showing folks my Foxes.

You do know ofcourse that the Fox is "The Finest Gun in the World".
TJC
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:12 pm  Reply with quote

[quote="Twice Barrel"
You do know ofcourse that the Fox is "The Finest Gun in the World".[/quote]

Next to the Merkels, the finest laser guided, pheasant seeking, bird destroying SxS to come from across the pond. Very Happy

bustingclays
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:53 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen:

Don't know nuttin about them thar foxes except they give the ol hound dogs a run for thar muney every onc't in a while. Me and Ms. Elsie are gettin along fine and will be in even better shape when we takes that trip up to Pinkneyville for the honin. Onc't I get away form the Dean this week we will mosey on up thar.

I'm thinkin to hone the chambers, lengthen the forcing cones, and open the chokes to sk/ic and I'll be dandier than a hog with slop AND a new misses hog.

THANKS for the help pudelpointer - you are a right fine gentleman to pass along your knowins. I will convey to my gunsmith the dimensions you quote - thank you!

Just to set the record straight, I have TWO FOX 16's and 1 Fox 20 - albeit NOT sterlyworths or that manner. My model B's and I get along just fine - thank you very much! Wink

Dr. 16 Gauge