16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Help with 16ga wads
87016ga
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:59 am  Reply with quote

larry:
it's not an issue of gas prices,but time.
as i type this reply, my 15 month old twin girls are taking a nap and thier mother is also sleeping. she works nights and weekends and i work sundays as well.
we literally had to sit down and schedule time for me to take the used oil to the recycling center this a.m.
non of this is a complaint,but an explanation of why i order from bpi instead of driving up there.
all of which still means diminishing customer service via mail order on there part.

p.s. i have enjoyed your writing for a long time, keep up the good work.
Pete
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:16 pm  Reply with quote

Hi 16gaugeguy
I would use the R16 wads if I new they had the right diameter do you know the diameter of a R16
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:57 am  Reply with quote

For what it's worth the diameter of the R-16 wad is .633 +/-.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:21 am  Reply with quote

That is about right give or take a bit. Mine measured out at .637+- .003". These wads will work in any 16 ga case. They bump up on firing and fill whatever case they are in. If you use bulky flake type powders, migration is not a problem.

If you insist on using a fine grained powder like any WW ball type, placing a small square polyethylene patch cut from one of the thicker food storage bags over the base of the wad before seating it in the case will stop any powder migration cold. I have done this in Fiocchi cases when using WW570 ball for heavy 1-1/8 ounce loads using the SP16 wad. It works like a charm.

Since this load is a high velocity load, I only load maybe 50 (2 boxes) every other year or so. I lay the patch centered over the mouth of the wad guide, then push the wad in lightly and seat it in the case as usual. Problem solved. This trick works in any of the roomier hulls on the market.

Both the R16 and the SP16 are the two most versatile 16 ga. wads made. You just need to find a solution around any short comings by using some know how and intelligence. If you load for the 16 ga. that is a prerequisite. So for you moaners and complainers who demand everything be an easy no brainer, either smarten up and quit b*tchin or shoot a 20 like the rest of the wimps. Wink Laughing
Pete
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:56 pm  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy
I am using 21 gr. of IMR SR7625 I do not know if you consider as a fine grain powder. I don't think it is what do you think?
Pete
mdoerner
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:14 pm  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
If you insist on using a fine grained powder like any WW ball type, placing a small square polyethylene patch cut from one of the thicker food storage bags over the base of the wad before seating it in the case will stop any powder migration cold. I have done this in Fiocchi cases when using WW570 ball for heavy 1-1/8 ounce loads using the SP16 wad. It works like a charm.

That's the smartest darned thing I've heard of regarding migration. It won't affect pressure either. Now why didn't I think of that???? Thanks for the tip.

Mike Doerner
bigric
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:10 pm  Reply with quote

It is an excellent idea. About how big of a square are you cutting? And are you experiencing more plastic fouling as a result?
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:54 am  Reply with quote

About a 1 inch + square covers the problem. I simply kept trying different sizes until I found one that encases the diameter of the wad base and also provides enough room for error when pushing the wad base down into the wad guide. I then cut a template out of a butter tub lid. I simply cut them by eye now by stacking the plastic sheeting 10 deep. A sharp pair of kitchen shears will do the rest. I don't worry about the square corners. They don't hurt a thing. I think they help a bit.

I found the size in relation to the top of the wad guide and the plastic patch thickness are the two most important factors. You want the patch to be stiff enough to lay flat. Too thin a piece will slump into the guide. Also, avoid pushing the wad too deep at first or you will prematurely spread the fingers. A little trial and error will help you work it out. Its very simple to pick up.

You generally don't shoot enough of these loads to worry about plastic build up. I don't recommend this trick for high volume loading. There are better solutions available for target loads, like finding a shell and wad that fit perfectly together. That is why I use only Remington hulls and wads for all my target ammo.