16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Patterning board
onefunzr2
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:30 am  Reply with quote

Does anybody or company make the 30" clear plastic sectioned overlay?

I can't seem to find a piece of reasonably priced plastic that big in diameter.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:49 pm  Reply with quote

I use a square piece of black plastic lawn and leaf bag with a 30" circle cut out of the middle. Its cheap and just as easy to center over the pattern core with a little practice. I also use a 16" length of yard stick with a nail in one end and a pen in the other at either 15" or 12 " for a compass. I find and mark the center, stick the nail in, and scribe the size circle I want. Easy peazy.
onefunzr2
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:46 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the homemade 'n handy tip, 16gg. I just thought that some company, somewhere would market a gizmo like this. They make everything else.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:17 am  Reply with quote

I have seen them. Its a 36"x 36" thin sheet of clear plastic that rolls up. I just can't remember where. Perhaps it was Precision Reloading Supply. I think these sheets were over $15 bucks plus shipping. Leaf bags are cheaper and easier to get.

You might try looking at an office supply store, art supply shop, craft store, or mechanical drafting supply house. I'll bet they have something you can use at a far cheaper cost. You can also buy a thin sheet of plexiglass and cut one out. Try a window repair shop or Home Depot.
old16
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:22 pm  Reply with quote

A friend of mine had a butcher shop. I bought a roll of wrapping paper form him. There is enough to last a life time on one roll. Just peal off what you need. hang it up and shoot.
Most of the shops have it in brown, white or clear plastic.

onefunzr2
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:31 pm  Reply with quote

No good at Home Depot, Precision Reloading(they dropped lots of stuff from inventory since changing owners and moving to the Dakotas), or Ballistic Products. But I did snag two smaller pieces of .125" clear plastic from a Dollar Store. I'll need two brass piano hinges to splice them together and fold in half on the centerline. Then I can drill out the center hole and one each for the two outer circles. There's more than one way to skin a cat.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:43 pm  Reply with quote

Stop by your local newspaper for unused partial rolls of paper--for next to nothing they are glad to get rid of 'em Wink
onefunzr2
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:29 pm  Reply with quote

Nope. Me and the local Tribune owned newspaper don't see eye to eye. In fact, I have a call in to their New York Newsday Long Island attorney right now. Waiting for a reply.

I am using auto spraypaint masking paper 36" wide for the target. The plastic 30" platter is for determining the dispersion of pellets counted in each quadrant.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:36 am  Reply with quote

Yup. The is always a way for those with eyes to see it. Good job.
brdhnt
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:19 am  Reply with quote

For the last ten years, I have used 36" brown wrapping paper that comes in 750' rolls. A roll costs me $36 at the local paper distributor (wholesale). I get 250 targets from a roll @ .14 cents each.

I bought a 3' square piece of 3/8th inch plexiglass for $12. I took it to the local industrial arts school and had them cut a 30" circle in the middle and then screwed two cabinet handles to the outside edge. I cut two pieces of 1" lathe to the inside diameter of the circle and screwed them together into an "X" or "+".

I shoot the paper, lay the plexiglass over it, inscribe my circle, mark the quadrants and then insert the lathe and make my quadrants.

With gun and load testing there have been years when I have shot over 3000 patterns and these products have held up for ten years.

TMB
________
De luxe ford history

Last edited by brdhnt on Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
16GAwaterfowler
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:26 am  Reply with quote

I have seen guys use the plastic overlays and they work very well. I hated carrying to much stuff around at the range when I was trying to give classes so I just use a 15 " long piece of string with a push pin on one end and a Sharpie marker tied to the other. Just find the center of your pattern, push the pin in and draw your cirlce, then when your done stick it back in your pocket.
The paper we use is white butcher paper it is 44" wide and comes in 400 foot rolls. For long range patterning (50 yards or more) we usually will take two sections of this paper and tape them together, gives you a better idea of how our longer ranged goose loads are dispersing.