16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Semi-Auto the New Choice?
fred lauer
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:51 am  Reply with quote

So.Lawyer, semi's have their place in the shooters world, especially if you are a waterfowler.I love my double guns but you wont see me trading in the old 1100 or the SP10 goose thumper. I must agree that though we are delighted at a good fitting SxS, the real magic of the day always comes down to the dog work.After 40 years of following dogs in the field,they still amaze this old farm boy, on a daily basis. Enjoy your guns no matter what type actions, and keep your dogs happy.

Lawrence U
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:06 am  Reply with quote

I know there are a lot of people that use semis for waterfowling. I've hunted waterfowl and guided waterfowlers for years. (I grew up in duck hunting heaven Smile ) Having said that, I contend that a semi on waterfowl is marginal at best. Even the new ones have their problems. Waterfowling guns are subjected to a lot of use and even abuse. I don't know how many times I've had to loan my trusty 870 Wingmaster to a sport whose Benelli, 1100, or other shotgun wasn't cutting it any longer. I always got a chuckle out of them using my plain barreled 870 with its worn blueing, little flecks of dried mud in the checkering after they had to put down there much more expensive and much prettier weapon. From my experience the best waterfowl guns are the Remington 870 and a double. They fire, even when wet, waterlogged, dropped in the mud, stepped on by the dog, sloshed in the bottem of a boat.

pudelpointer
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:27 am  Reply with quote

I agree. I just sold my browning gold hunter 3 1/2 used it for geese for 5 years lovely gun shot it well.But when the going got tough(freezing temps,water and mud) she let me down. I broke it down and cleaned it every time but still wouldn't cycle now and then. I never had a double jam or missfire. Real guns have 2 barrels, pumps are better but I've seen quite a few short pump jams in the goose blind. Not the guns fault just the excitement to get another shot off at those big birds. We will see how the red label camo handles the less than favorable conditions.