16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Fox Model B - broken cocking plunger
bustingclays
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:37 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen:

Went up to Edwardsville Gun Club - Oldest in Nation - for the spring trap league dinner (fried chicken, spud salad, and other fixens, yum) and went out to shoot a round of doubles practice with 16 ga Fox Model B (case color, fix mod/full chokes, DT) and had two interesting experiences.

First, there was a reporter and photographer there for local paper - good press I hope. As I walked out to shoot the photographer walked out with us and took my pic (if I make the paper had on 16 ga society hat) will send it along.

Second, just after picture, the cocking plunger on the Fox sheared off. Confused Mad Done for the night - won't cock gun when opened. Will got to Numrich (egunparts) and order one shortly. Lever springs for LC Smith were shipped today - drats - two shipping charges.

oh well........

Dr. 16 Gauge
hoashooter
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:54 pm  Reply with quote

B-clays 2 thoughts(one smart ass of course)
1-I hate to think your mug under our hat represents us----HA----
2.I HATE to see your gun go down---I help the folks at my club when something breaks and even carry spare parts and tools to fix 'em-Lotsa folks have no clue how to even break the gun down properly to clean it let alone fix it---hope you get yours back and running soon Wink Wink Wink Wink
bustingclays
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:36 pm  Reply with quote

Hoashooter:

No worries - been cleaning guns and fixing some (easy jobs anyway) since the late 60s. Already heard back from Numrich that the 2 (bought a spare) cocking plungers. springs, and screws ordered last night were sent out today.

Further, the LC lever springs odered Monday arrived today too. Replacing this will be a little more difficult, but will get done.

In addition, I have MULTIPLE 16s (and other gauges too), just in case you know Cool Wink

As to the mug, I tried to tell photographer last night that she needed a picture of someone more handsome Wink than I for the paper, but she insisted on my name and took the pic anyway Embarassed . Even telling her that I had been in the paper last week (NO, not in the line-up) didn't get me off the hook.

hmmmm,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Dr. 16 Gauge
311A 16ga
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:38 pm  Reply with quote

I too have a Stevens 16ga double (311A) with full case colors and 95%+ barrel bluing, a treasure (converted it to straight grip and had it checkered) its my go to duck and late season pheasant gun.

Assume its the plunger in the barrel lump that broke? If so when you install the replacement work the action with the butt stock off to observe how far back the cocker pushes the hammers when fully opening the action. If the hammers are pushed well back past the sear engagement notches it may be putting excessive strain on the plunger.

My cure was to lightly file the sloping ramp on the plunger (and finally polishing it) to a point that with the action fully open the hammers are pushed a little past sear engagement. This also helps keep the action fully open for loading or pulling fired hulls (the hammer spring pressure attempts to close the action until the sears engage).

Protect your case colors: remove the stock, clean the outside of the action with lacqur thinner and paint on a thin coating of thinned True Oil.
bustingclays
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:28 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks 311a 16ga

I will try the stock off and observe trick! Cool

Dr. 16 Gauge