16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Ms. Elsie on temporary vacation - she's broke.
bustingclays
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:44 pm  Reply with quote

Well - Numrich top lever springs for LC Smith in hand, finally got time today to take the new (old) LC apart to replace the top lever spring. Recall it was weak and occasionally popped open the other day when I shot the first round of skeet. Well 3 hours later, springs won't work - took apart in 10 minutes, yup spring weak alright - it is broken. Tried new springs - too long, ground down both sides (simple flat spring) - now it fits, but TOO STRONG - can't put gun back together with top lever spring in it Evil or Very Mad Mad Confused Sad

Back to the drawing board - look for new main spring or get metal shop to make one. (kept old pieces for measurements - only smart thing in frutration period). hmmmm....

Anybody got a spare LC Smith top lever spring hangin around???

On the good side today, shot a straight with the SKB 385 20 ga barrels (I know not 16 Embarassed ) for the VERY first time (after multiple straights with the 28 ga barrels). Oh, and pushed alot of papers off the desk.

all is not lost.....

Dr. 16 Gauge
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:18 pm  Reply with quote

Hate to see your gun go down-I have no spare parts or would help you out---what's the deal with a straight????Tell me about the 50's 75's and 100's- Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:01 am  Reply with quote

Didn't Clint say something about '...a man's got to know his limitations.' Laughing I'm aware of a Sterly that needs some minor gunsmithing while you're at it Rolling Eyes

old16
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:27 pm  Reply with quote

Bustin
Go over to the LC Smith society. They will have the answers youl need. Sorry to hear you Elsie is a little ill. I'm sure she will be spring back in no time at all.
I got a firing pin that is sticking. Probably my fault. While I had them out I give both of them a light buffing and I think the one is a aftermarket because the radius is not a small as the otherone. Not a big problem but is annoying.

bustingclays
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:08 pm  Reply with quote

After a review of the broken lever spring with my two "local" experts (a metalsmith and a doubles man) I have concluded that Ms. Elsie needs the services of a qualified gunsmith for the broken lever spring. Further, she can get the choke work and chamber reaming she deserves at the same time. I have been directed with a phone number to Waterloo IL - I will call shortly and hopefully make some progress. stay tuned......

thanks for the advice (yes, revdocdrew I do know my limitations!)....

Dr. 16 Gauge