16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Help with Zabala SxS
carpet1
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:10 am  Reply with quote

I found a Zabala imported by Kassner SxS in 16g. Looks very clean, but I know nnothing about thes shotgun. I have heard their quality can be suspect. The shop will sell for $350
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:42 am  Reply with quote

I have a 16 ga BSA Classic made by Hermanos Zabala that has become my favorite bird gun. It is a single selective trigger, POW stock with semi-beavertai forend which is the way I prefer my SXS's. It is relatively light at 6# 10 oz, nicely balanced and after a Pachmayer SC-100 pad at my LOP and pitch and a little stock bending for 11/16" cast off and a touch more drop, I shoot it better than any gun I've owned. I've hunted it hard all over the country for two plus years and it has proven very reliable.

My advice would be to look closely at the gun and don't just walk away from the gun because Zabala made it. If it is in good shape and fits you fairly well, it could be a good gun. Only you can make the decision to buy or not.

byrdog
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:19 am  Reply with quote

I have some 10ga Zabala guns. I have looked at very many others of different guages . Eibar Spain guns all seem to be built on a common design theme. I would say the mechanics are really very tough. My issues have been the stock material and the weight. All the 16ns I have looked at were as heavy as a 12ga sxs. If I am going to heft that 7lb gun all over The Maine woods I might as well carry the 12.
dvk
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:36 am  Reply with quote

Have 28 gauge--no issues with it--pull triggers--goes--BANG!!! very nice wood yet not a fan of the finish--can not harp for the dollars.
skeettx
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:59 pm  Reply with quote

I have 7 Zabalas ( 12, 20, 28, 410) and all work well
Wished I had a 16 gauge Brittany or Derby
Mike

XVI'er
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:39 pm  Reply with quote

I still have my Classic Royal Zabala Hermanos(BSA) 16 bore. My go to "modern" SxS. Very Happy

Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:59 pm  Reply with quote

Riflemeister wrote:
I have a 16 ga BSA Classic made by Hermanos Zabala that has become my favorite bird gun. It is a single selective trigger, POW stock with semi-beavertai forend which is the way I prefer my SXS's. It is relatively light at 6# 10 oz, nicely balanced and after a Pachmayer SC-100 pad at my LOP and pitch and a little stock bending for 11/16" cast off and a touch more drop, I shoot it better than any gun I've owned. I've hunted it hard all over the country for two plus years and it has proven very reliable.

My advice would be to look closely at the gun and don't just walk away from the gun because Zabala made it. If it is in good shape and fits you fairly well, it could be a good gun. Only you can make the decision to buy or not.

You bent it 11/16ths of an inch?

Best,
Ted

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:23 pm  Reply with quote

Ted Schefelbein wrote:
Riflemeister wrote:

You bent it 11/16ths of an inch?

Best,
Ted

Naw, my bad. Fraction challenged. Slightly under 3/8" or 11/32". Probably could have gone that far though, Bent it to 1/2" planning on springback and it never moved at all when I backed off the adjusting screw. Had to re-heat and bend it back. Easiest bending stock I ever saw.

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:57 pm  Reply with quote

Zabela doubles are one of the more inexpensive Spanish doubles. Unfortunately, most I've checked have evidence of barrel straightness and regulation issues which can cause the patterns to hit too far apart than is proper for a double gun. I would check the bores very carefully for straightness and regulation before committing. I'd also ask to shoot test the gun for mutual barrel accuracy to be sure. Good luck.
Little Mike
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:35 pm  Reply with quote

the shotguns Zabala are hard and they allow hunting many years without problems. They are not, except for some models, thin hunting shotguns as Aya, Ugartechea, Arrieta, etc., But work well. I have a 20 gauge, leads and many seasons and is like the first day. So far I have had 3 Zabala, and without problems. Perhaps the only drawback is that they tend to be somewhat heavy. What is the model that shotgun?.

Good luck with it!

Greetings from Spain

skeettx
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:41 pm  Reply with quote

Hello Little Mike and
WELCOME on your first post

HOLA!!

Mike

bearrowland
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:31 pm  Reply with quote

I had an uncle that hunted with a Zabala for years without any issues. I used to come across them alot more than I do now. They are a little on the heavy side, but seemed to be built well from the ones I remember.

XVI'er
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:53 pm  Reply with quote

Those of you that have followed my posts over the years know that the BSA Cassic Royal I own is made by Zabala Hermanos(brothers) and is my first SxS in 16 bore.It weighs 7#2oz and in no way is it the lightest 16 I own, however, it is a very solid gun I use for clays and doves as well as ducks. It is one of the best guns for the money I have ever owned. One could search long and hard to find one as well made and none, I dare say, in the same price bracket.I am not the only one who thinks that way.

The Kassnar imports are good. Depending on the condition, it might make a very servicable gun for you. As with any used gun, all the checks need to be made.

carpet1
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:35 pm  Reply with quote

To all, thanks. Never having owned a SXS, i don't know what to look for. Shotgun appears to lock up tight, not abused at all. Probably 95% or better.
Quickcheck showed full and full, although the dealer wasn't sure. Lots of engraving, bores looked good, wood excellent. I am not sure what I should offer. Dealer is asking $395, but said he would listen to offers. I think I can get it for $300 or $325. Without seeing it, hard for you guys to comment, I know.
gjw
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:35 pm  Reply with quote

Hi carpet, I also own and have owned several Zabalas in the past. These are good solid work a day guns, nothing fancy, but will do the job. Yep without pics hard to give a price or what model it might be. But the price range your talking about sounds fair, heck haggle with guy, you never know.

You did mention that you don't know what to look for in a SxS, here's a few tips to help you and see if the gun is not a piece of junk:

1) The opening lever should be centered to to the right of center

2) With the forend off, shake the gun, thump the butt stock all over and twist the bbls a bit. You can tell if it's loose, rattles or the bbls move. The gun bbls should be solid.

3) Hold the bbl lugs (NOT the extractors). You can put your finger in the hook and then tap the bbls with your fingernails or pencil. The bbls should ring. A dull sound is not good.

4) Check the stock for any cracks, hairline or otherwise

5) Hold the gun up to a light and make sure there is no light showing between the bbls and the breech face. You'll see some light between the bbl flats and the watertable, that's normal.

6) With snap caps, check the triggers and the safety. With the safety on, make sure the triggers don't trip when you pull the triggers. With the safety off, fire one bbl, then rap the butt stock (on the end) hard with the palm of your hand, the other bbl should not trip. You can hear if it does. If it does trip, don't buy it.

7) If the trigger is a single selective, do the same as above, but also select each bbl to ensure the trigger works properly.

Cool (don't know why this is here! Supposed to be an 8!)) If the gun has ejectors, using snap caps, fire one bbl, open the gun and see if the cap ejects. Do this with the other bbl. Repeat in reverse order. Then do with both bbls fired. The caps should clear the chambers each time If they don't you have a problem.

Anyway, good luck to you and let us know how things work out.

Best!

Greg