16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Gambel's quail
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:00 pm  Reply with quote

There's an incredible pic of a bunch of Gambel's with chicks toward the bottom of the first page of this thread. Wickenburg is northwest of Phoenix and I've got Gamble's in my yard too. Kinda makes living in hell worth it Laughing
http://bbs.shootingsportsman.com/viewtopic.php?t=29544&start=0
So what's the bird report in Kansas & S. Dakota?

Birdawg
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:02 pm  Reply with quote

The only problem is wild birds without rain in the winter will have hard time raising there young. Even in the most sever drought (like the one this past year) there will be plenty of birds in the 'burbs and around the golf courses.

On the other hand as long as I have a place to watch the dogs work in January I am happy.
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:32 pm  Reply with quote

You're right birdawg-things have been so dry that the coyotes have all come in town and are munching on poodles in Scottsdale. Saw 3 while driving home after church Sunday just sitting in a yard over in Sun City.
Here's to the Quail Unlimited chapters that have been installing 'guzzlers' out in the desert all over the West.

hoashooter
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:14 pm  Reply with quote

Quail--what's that????Unfortunately in my area there are hardly pheasants anymore due to no cover-fence rows or hedge trees-an overabundance of yotes due to no bounty and the farmers mowing what little grass is in the ditch.We have also been thru a drought the last year or so.The only critter prospering is those damn turkeys in the southern part of the county where there is plenty of woods--
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:39 pm  Reply with quote

From another Forum re: TX and OK

We had a very mild winter in TX/OK last year so should have hit spring with a good broodstock. Despite droughty conditions, many pastures are in better shape than they ought to be. We haven't had many really hot days-- the kind that begin incubating nests before the hen sets and kill newly-hatched chicks. Good, much needed rains this week.

Hey Fin, Prairie Pat, TB and Rabbitdog: What's the word from KDWP?

revdocdrew
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:20 pm  Reply with quote

Here's a S. Dakota report from another Forum:

I havent been working the dogs too much lately because of the heat, but the hatch was good early. In the central part of SD it has been very dry, we are getting hit and miss showers today, with some areas getting just a trace and other a deluge. The central part of the state was in the worst shape, the Ft Pierre grasslands are in surprisingly good shape because of some early rain. I worry about prarie fires though, north of Pierre to Timber lake and Mobridge area has been hit with grass fires, depends on the report you hear wether it is 10K acres or 40K. From what we saw early the prarie grouse should be in good shape the pheasants dont fare as well as the native birds when the conditions become severe. We are still finding one or two broods every outing so I think we should be back to a normal year at least.

The word from the outfitter we use in Mitchell is that they've had some decent rains and expect bird numbers similar to last year-which was a good year.