16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Shopping for a used 16 ga.
TJC
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:45 am  Reply with quote

As long as Huns doesn't drink the scotch and then try to shuck shells. He'll get that pumper all jammed up inside. Wink

nossman
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:53 am  Reply with quote

Congrats! Nice gun for the money. Same gun my brother is looking at.
Briley's has chokes available, but you have to call (16ga Remington chokes are not listed on their website). Rolling Eyes I bought a Remington Flush Black Oxide (skeet) for my Wingmaster ($22.95 + shipping). Since your buying new, from a shop. Did you happen to ask if they had any of the Remington (manufacturer) rebate coupons ($30)? If not, check one of your local shops. Mine has them on the counter. It's a mail in deal. But hey, $30.
hunshatt
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:56 am  Reply with quote

nice gun, good luck.
Tjc, shuckity shuck
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:06 am  Reply with quote

Tom wrote: "He'll get that pumper all jammed up inside."

Boy, that really sounds painfully urologic Shocked Wouldn't wish THAT even on ol' thudddd. Very Happy

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:05 pm  Reply with quote

Geez guys, I think the man said repeater....or does it need repeating? Rolling Eyes Laughing Well, sir, you already own one of the finest 16 gauge pumps made in the Ithaca 37. Its nice, light, easy to carry, and quick to swing. Its also a well balanced gun. Plus it is the slickest pump gun ever made, period. Why not another?

The newly manufactured 16 ga 870 and 1100 Remingtons are too heavy for the gauge. You might as well buy the 12 ga 1100 and shoot 1 ounce target loads if recoil is an issue. The 12 is only maginallly heavier and ammo is easier to get.

However there is another alternative, 3/4 and 7/8 ounce, 1100 fps reloads for your Ithaca 37 16 ga. they break clays like lightning but don't kick much at all. This little trick will tame those 6 to 6-3/4 pound 16 ga guns down to downright fun to shoot for everyone. It will also open the door for more gun choices like a nice used Model 31 Remington or a Model 12 Winchester. Both guns also typically weigh about 6-1/2 pounds give or take in 16 gauge. Good luck with your choice.
87016ga
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:22 pm  Reply with quote

300hnh:
it's not a wingmaster, but at least you purchased from a manufacturer who's still in the 16ga repeating arms business (dig at 16gg) Shocked
seeing as how your express weighs a whole 6-8 oz more than a compairable 37, i hope your arms don't get tired Laughing
300hnh
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:14 pm  Reply with quote

I gotta admit, I swallowed hard when I bought the 870. But the price fit in with the budget for right now. Now if I could have found a NIB model 37 for the same price... Shocked

I'm with 16gg - the Ithaca 37 is one great gun! I have a 37 in 12 ga with a 30 inch full choke barrel that I inherited from my grandfather. So the 16 ga we got a few years ago was a natural add on to the family armory. Cool

Now here is an oldie - I also have a Remington model 17 in 20ga. That IS a fun gun to shoot Wink For those not in the know, the model 17 is the same action as the Ithaca model 37. Remington let the patent laps in 1937 - hence Ithaca's acquiring the patent and coming out with the model 37.

If you want to see some of the game we have bagged with our bottom feed/eject guns click the link below:

http://forums.huntnbuds.com/phpBB2/album.php?user_id=4

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:40 am  Reply with quote

Well, at least someone agrees with something I've posted lately. Rolling Eyes Laughing But it is hard to find fault with a 16 ga. model 37. I'm on relatively firm ground there. Only those poor souls who worship at the alter of the Big W would even try. I just smile and nod reassuringly like they were really okay. But us Ithaca fans know better don't we. Cool

Now you know where the next battle is gonna be. Ouch!! That's gonna leave a mark. Rolling Eyes
87016ga
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:32 pm  Reply with quote

300HNH:
i loved my 70's era 20ga 37, but the 12ga from the last ownership group left me feeling less than satisfied.
if the new owners can put out a "quality" product like the ithaca of 'yor, then i will be standing at the cash register with checkbook in hand.
but i'm taking a wait and see approach for right now.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:54 am  Reply with quote

I recently acquired a second Model 37 16 ga. This one has the new style 26" barrel w/ rib. It was made in King's Landing. I'm very well pleased with it. Being a new gun, it has not developed the "soul" or "character" that an older, well used, well cared for gun has. My 1969 DXR model has a certain "feel or "quality" about it that most older guns seem to have, especially to us older shooters. Perhaps its nostalgia. However, the new one is very smooth and quick to point. It also swings beautifully.

My older gun's finish is remarkablely clean considering the wear of 37 years of service, but its hardly new. So I can't really compare the new gun to it and draw any valid conclusions. However, the new gun's wood has better grain and will take on more character as it ages. So will the steel as it takes on the luster and patina most well cared for gun steel does in time.

I'm never happy to hear that some of the guns put out in the King's Landing era were not quite up to snuff, but mine is fine. It shoots where I look and has yet to fail ejecting and feeding a new round. I can't really ask for more, just the opportunity to shoot and hunt with it. Perhaps some day, someone will remark, "What a fine old pump gun these 37's are. Look at this one. Boy, they don't make them like they used to."