16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Lost my Mom and some great quail habitat the same day . . .
Haiwee
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:20 pm  Reply with quote

Lost my Mom Tuesday morning -- not exactly a great shock, since she had been pretty sick for over three years, but, still, it's difficult enough for the family. We're in town making funeral arrangements, come out and see smoke in the hills. You see, my parents live near a little settlement in the California desert called Pioneertown. You may have seen it featured on the nightly news the past few days as the site of yet another major firestorm in the California mountains.

To make a long story short, my Dad's home survived despite being overrun by flames. We lost only the pump house (so he's without water for a few days) and my SUV (which burned to the ground but, hey, I needed a new ride anyway) so, believe it or not, we consider ourselves lucky. At least nine of his immediate neighbors lost everything.

When they finally allowed us back onto the property today we found a small covey of Gambel's quail traversing his land. My Dad went right to his shop and pulled out a sack of bird feed -- the land looks like a lunar landscape -- and he said "not much feed for the birds right now, I think they could use the help." Just like my Dad, hurting from losing the love of his life for 53 years, and he's worried about the quail.

Last edited by Haiwee on Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
bigric
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:26 pm  Reply with quote

Wow, I'm sorry to hear about all of your losses. Peace be with you and your family.
IDcut
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:56 pm  Reply with quote

Tough to lose a mother and then property to a wildland fire. I'm sorry for your loss!

I pray your kind hearted father got some solace from his act of kindness.
CH
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:45 am  Reply with quote

My thoughts are with you and I'm sorry for you loss. Your mother has a better place to live and no pain. Your quail will also benifit eventually from the fire, habitat will improve. Hang in there things will get better.
Citori16
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:01 am  Reply with quote

My condolences on your loss to you and your family. I know there are few words that can ease your pain, but time heals all. Peace to you and yours.

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:28 am  Reply with quote

Hiawee, all I can do is offer my condolences and my empathy. I understand. I'm probably about in the same age group you are give or take a few. In this period in our lives, its tough to watch our older friends and close family members go on before us. Its the same for our beloved old hunting dogs too.

But I think I understand what your father sees. Now that he has lost his life companion, he is focusing on the living, the survivers. Those quail mean more to him now. They are the future as you are to him, as are the children in your family. He knows that if he can help get those survivers and those younger and more vulnerable through the first few weeks and monthes, or years, nature will do the rest. Your dad is now what my people call "being closer to the center of the earth." Its a good place to be. Only the circle of life can teach us this. May your Dad's and your spirits always touch the earth. May you share his vision.
Birdawg
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:32 am  Reply with quote

I find there are no words for the loss of a parent but you are in our thoughts and hearts.
Jess
Haiwee
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:44 am  Reply with quote

Thank you, everybody, for your kind words. And I think you're right, 16GG; in caring for others my father can more easily overcome his grief. But life goes on, and this next stage in my Dad's life includes the happiness of knowing his grandson (my sister's son) will be going on our annual September dove hunt this year for the first time. Another generation to whom we can teach the fine hunting traditions of our family!

One thing I forgot to mention in my original post was that we thought we had lost his hunting dog, a sweet-natured black and white springer. I was able to sneak past the roadblocks Wednesday morning to survey the damage, and the dog was gone. Turns out the firefighters had gone into the house and chased her out because they thought the house was going to go.

After the fire passed, one of my Dad's neighbors who had ridden out the fire found her, let her back into the house and kept her fed and watered until we could get back in. The joy on my Dad's face when he saw that dog was indescribable, as were our emotions over the kindness and thoughtfulness of all my Dad's neighbors. And we owe a special debt of gratitude to the brave firefighters who battled in horrific conditions to save so many houses and animals. These men and women are truly heroes.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:45 pm  Reply with quote

For humans, caring for others, man or beast, is life. Your father cares for the quail, your neighbor the dog, your family the grandson, and so on and back again. This is the circle as we travel around on our way to becoming a whole person, complete with a strong spirit. Each living thing giving what it can to the circle is what makes it whole. If we stop, the hoop of life is broken, and we lose touch with the earth. We no longer can find the center. We die out from the earth and are gone forever.

Your story has touched our hearts. This is how we know we are part of the circle. Our spirits feel what others feel. Qua-neech' ne-top! (Go with beauty my friend. Algonquin) Was-pte'. (Many buffalo- all good things in life. Lakota)
David
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:18 pm  Reply with quote

I agree with Jess. She will be in a better place, sick free, looking down on everyone. God bless.
TJC
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:13 pm  Reply with quote

The pain of the loss will go away with time but the memories will last forever. As it should be.

I've been there twice and know this to be true.

Lawrence U
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:52 am  Reply with quote

Hiawee,
I'm saddened to hear of you and your father's losses. This life is so very transient. Truly, it is but a vapour. I will be praying for you both.

Highcountry
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:01 pm  Reply with quote

Hiawee - my condolences to you and your father. Great news on the recovery of your dad's dog.

Hc

grousehunter 61
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:06 am  Reply with quote

So sorry to read of your loss. I lost my mother this past Feb. and know how you are feeling. I am sure that she has gone on to a better place.

rodger
fin2feather
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:21 pm  Reply with quote

Good wishes to you and your family, and God bless...

Fin

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook