16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns Wanted or For Sale  ~  Looking for a Sterly
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:30 pm  Reply with quote

Ken Hurst is looking for a 16 or 20 Sterly 'shooter' to upgrade:
http://foxcollectors.s10.forumsplace.com/viewtopic.php?t=26

Dave Miles
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:58 am  Reply with quote

Rev, He's always looking for a Sterly to up grade. That's who bought mine a couple months ago.
TJC
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:11 am  Reply with quote

I've got a real nice 16 ga, but it "ain't" for upgrading and "ain't" for sale. Wink

fin2feather
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:18 am  Reply with quote

What's your opinion of "upgrading" guns? I don't mind restocking, opening chokes, etc., to make the gun fit the shooter and his needs, don't even mind a full restoration. But if a gun started life as a Sterlingworth, I think it should stay a Sterlingworth. Making it into a graded gun seems a little disengenuous (sp?). Sorta like a lady wearing too much makeup. JMHO.

Fin

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:51 am  Reply with quote

Couldn't find the thread on DoubleGunBBS with that Sterly upgrade with the incredible wood-did you see the pics Shocked I'm a bit ambivalent-if it's pristine then leave it that way. If it's a shooter-make it right for you (soon to get back my 'princess-of-wales' gun Wink ) If it's lived a long happy life as a plain jane hunter-it's probably OK to get to be 'queen of the prom' as long as it's not misrepresented (big problem in the Parker crowd)
It is impressive that all the gunsmiths now want to use Sterlys for their upgrades. re: Merkels-isn't there some old saying about pig's ears and silk purses? Laughing

Ken Hurst
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:35 pm  Reply with quote

I do buy/trade for sterlies sometimes. I only up grade ones that are not pristene. I do restock them with top grade wood and engrave some with gold inlays & full coverage ---- others I will just add a little Eng. scroll ala SDH per his book.

I certainly never mislead anyone by trying to pass off gun as original --- my name is stampted on the water table which proves it isn't original. There are some out there that fake graded gins but not me and a curse on those that do.

Thats the truth, Ken
fin2feather
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:51 pm  Reply with quote

Ken,

Certainly wasn't suggesting that you'd mislead anyone; in my limited experience in the gun world you have a great reputation, and besides, what you do to to upgrade a gun is between you and the buyer; none of my business. Just saying that personally I would rather have a Sterlingworth restored as a Sterlingworth than upgraded, but that's just me; mine's not pristine but I like her just the way she is! Never been much into engraving, etc. Just an opinion, and not thrown out there to bait or defame anybody Very Happy !

Fin

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
Ken Hurst
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:52 pm  Reply with quote

No problem Mr. Fin ....... I certainly believe everyone should have his gun exactly as he wants it. There are some pieces that I wouldn't touch and have had offered commissions that I refused because the condition of the piece was in to good of a condition ----- won't alter a pristene gun with my scratching. I have reengraved a few graded guns that were somewhat abused. Actually they came out looking like a fact. new piece. The owner then lightly polished (3M pad) the external parts until the case was pretty much so work off and it looked almost like it did when he brought it to me except there weren't any pits from blood . It was what he wanted -----

Ken
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:01 pm  Reply with quote

RevDoc wrote:

It is impressive that all the gunsmiths now want to use Sterlys for their upgrades. re: Merkels-isn't there some old saying about pig's ears and silk purses?

Rev, never put your pig's ears in a silk purse. Silk is not waterproof, and the ears will go bad and get smelly. Besides, flaunting a silk purse will set people to talking about you, especially a smelly one.