16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  2 1/2" Cheddite hulls w/ primers
David
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:08 am  Reply with quote

Just received my order for supplies to start reloading 16 ga. I looked into the 16 ga Reloaders site (member) and had a hard time finding a load using Cheddite hulls 2 1/2" w/ 209 Cheddite primers already in them, Longshot, Unique, Clays powder available, BP Sp-16 wads. My problem seems to be that the reloading data calls for most of the shells to be roll-crimped (I also ordered a roll-crimper and overshot cards.030, couldn't find .040 that was suggested, should be here next week)). I posted a question on on the site, if I could 6 crimp some of the data, instead of roll-crimping, and still remain at the pressures given, no one gave an answer.(One member wetboy, has sent some for testing and will give me the info when he gets it). I can use 7/8 oz or 1 oz of shot. There are a lot of loads using CCI 209 primers, but like I stated, these are already primed. If any one has any 16 ga shells for sale, either Cheddite, Winchester, Activ, I will buy them and just cut them to 2 1/2". Thanks, David
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:40 am  Reply with quote

David,
I ordered a 1000 of these same hulls. What I did was punch out the existing primers, and installed the primers that the load data called for.
If you use load data for a roll crimped shell, and 6 point crimp it instead, your pressures will be higher. If you look close at the load data sheet, you will see one or two loads that are exactly the same. Except one is roll crimped, the other is 6 point crimped. There is about 1000 PSI difference, with the 6 point crimp being higher. I don't know what your shooting these loads in, or how critical your PSI range has to be. Only you can determine that. The Cheddite primer is supposed to be hotter than the CCI.
Dave M.
David
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:56 am  Reply with quote

Dave M,
Thanks for the info, I was afraid to punch the other primers out, because of what they say about safety. I know from reading about primers that Cheddite 209 and Winchester 209 are compatable. It looks like the CCI 209 primers are the weakest, if you can say that. I do like the one load: Cheddite/RST 2 1/2" 6 pt., 7/8 oz. shot, 19.0 grs. Longshot, CCI 209 primer, SG-16 Wad, 1125 fps, and 4333 psi.
I'm going to be using them in a 1939 L.C. Smith,(all 16's chambered 2 9/16"). It is proof tested, but I feel better using this low pressure loads.
What is your favorite, and do you also roll-crimp?, Thanks again, David
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:50 am  Reply with quote

David,
I had this load tested: 1140 FPS @ 6300 PSI
New 2-9/16" Cheddite hull
CCI 209 primer
20 gr. IMR-SR7625
SG-16 wad, 1 oz. #8-1/2 lead shot
.025" OSC, roll crimped to length of 2.38"

I had bought over 1000 of the ARMUSA, 2-9/16, Vintage 16 gauge loads.
I have shot all these shells, and my favorite load uses these hulls.
This load was also tested: 1200 FPS @ 7700 PSI
ARMUSA 2-9/16" Cheddite hull
Win. 209 primer
21.5 gr. IMR-SR7625
SG-16 wad, 1 oz. #8-1/2 lead shot
6 fold crimp

I shoot this load in Damascus and Twist barrel Parkers.
Your gun should have fluid steel barrels, and any load under 8500 PSI should be just fine. Your gun can probably handle modern loads, except it will be a little rough on the stock. You also should be just fine shooting low pressure 2-3/4" shells, even though your chambers are 2-9/16"
If you measure some factory hulls, you will find allot of them are closer to 2-9/16" after being shot, than 2-3/4".
I shoot 2-3/4" low pressure shells in my 2-5/8" chamber 12 gauges all the time.
Dave M.
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:00 am  Reply with quote

[quote="David"] I do like the one load: Cheddite/RST 2 1/2" 6 pt., 7/8 oz. shot, 19.0 grs. Longshot, CCI 209 primer, SG-16 Wad, 1125 fps, and 4333 psi.

David, I just found the sheet where I had this load tested also, but with 1 oz. instead of 7/8 oz.
This was with the new Cheddite hull, and the crimps had opened up a little bit during shipment for testing. Components used :
New Cheddite 2-9/16" hull
CCI-209 primer
19 gr. Longshot, SG-16 wad, 1 oz. #8-1/2 lead, .025" OSC, 6 fold crimp.
1100 FPS @ 4400 PSI.
Maybe if I would have skived the hulls, or put the OSC in the bottom of the wad, or used puffed wheat instead. The hulls might not have started to open. Use this info for what it's worth.
Dave M.
David
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:53 am  Reply with quote

Dave M,
Thanks for the information. I just have to get a couple of Mec powder bushings from Cabela's to use the Longshot powder, luckily they are only about 10 minutes from where I live.
That load you were talking about that I liked, you said you used 1 oz instead of the 7/8 oz, do you think the load would have not opened if you didn't put the .025 OSC in. On ther data sheet it only suggested 6 point crimping for 7/8 oz, with no OSC.
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:37 am  Reply with quote

If I remember correctly, Longshot is a pretty fine powder and doesn't take up much room. I think I put the OSC on top of the 1 oz. load, because the crimps where going in to far. I honestly think they opened up a little because they were new, unskived hulls. I have the same problem with new Fed. 10 gauge hulls. I load them, let them set on the bench for a day, then crimp them again because they start to open. New hulls work great for roll crimp. You'll just have to experiment a little bit to see what works for you.
Dave M.