16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Biggest thing you've bagged with your 16?
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:08 pm  Reply with quote

Anyone big game hunt with a 16? There's thousands of 16 drillings and combo guns out there, but I rarely if ever see pictures of large animals actually taken with a 16. Anyone?

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
pepperdawg
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:15 pm  Reply with quote

2 Years ago while Pheasant hunting in late Nov, a buck popped out of the tree line about 10-15 yards at most in front of me and stood there for maybe 90 seconds staring, and I had valid deer tags for the time and location....somehow didn't think #6 from the Citori Feather would do the deed.....although I did pause for thought and thought about "stuff"........nevertheless, he went his way, I went mine.......

Largest is a spring gobbler with a Mossberg 500 in 16Ga.

Cool Cool

3crosses
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:27 pm  Reply with quote

Coyote!
DanLee
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:30 pm  Reply with quote

Back when I was with a hunt club in Southside Virginia, I nailed a couple deer with a load of No. 1 buckshot from my Sweet Sixteen. Normally, I used a 12 gauge, but I wanted to see what the traditional southern gauge would do. It works.

Dan
renaudnw
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:35 pm  Reply with quote

A big Michigan corn fed whitetail. Dressed out at about 180#. As I said... big. He fell to a round ball slug through both lungs. Turns out to have been the largest deer I've ever shot. I was only 17 at the time.

Nothing makes a gun more effective than practice.
putz463
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:45 am  Reply with quote

A paper wasp nest about as big around as a garbage can lid w/a magazine full of 1 1/8oz #6 Fed's from an 11-48 Shocked didnt stick around for the trophy photo op...

And a turkey about the same size....

pepperdawg
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:02 am  Reply with quote

putz463 wrote:
A paper wasp nest about as big around as a garbage can lid w/a magazine full of 1 1/8oz #6 Fed's from an 11-48 Shocked didnt stick around for the trophy photo op...

Putz - I got some fire - wanna go play with it?

matt
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:11 am  Reply with quote

I have shot whitetail deer with my 16, dropped them just as quick as my 12 gauge does. Cool
fn16ga
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:31 am  Reply with quote

matt wrote:
I have shot whitetail deer with my 16, dropped them just as quick as my 12 gauge does. Cool

+1 , a load of #1 buck in a 16ga is a very lethal on Whitetails and will kill them just as dead as any 12ga .

I have dog hunted whitetails all my hunting life (Thanks Dad !) ,while running deer in NW Fl , one day, I watched a friend of mine drop a buck at 75 yards (running shot ) with his standard weight A5 16ga , using a load of #1 buckshot . I was shooting at the deer with my rifle at the same time , I thought I had killed the deer , but upon inspection turns out I missed . Boy that fried back strap was goooood !
canvasback
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:03 am  Reply with quote

putz463 wrote:

And a turkey about the same size....

LOL, I've done that a few times, although I used a M12. Well placed shot and be ready to run!

1925 Ferlach 29" 6 lbs 7 oz
1923 Greifelt 29" 6 lbs 1 oz
1928 Simson 29.5" 6 lbs
1893 Lindner Daly FW 28” 5 lb 11oz
spr310
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:11 pm  Reply with quote

fn16ga wrote:
matt wrote:

+1 , a load of #1 buck in a 16ga is a very lethal on Whitetails and will kill them just as dead as any 12ga .

I have dog hunted whitetails all my hunting life (Thanks Dad !) ,while running deer in NW Fl , one day, I watched a friend of mine drop a buck at 75 yards (running shot ) with his standard weight A5 16ga , using a load of #1 buckshot . I was shooting at the deer with my rifle at the same time , I thought I had killed the deer , but upon inspection turns out I missed . Boy that fried back strap was goooood !

While stationed at Eglin I decided to try a little deer hunting. Heard about the hunting with dogs. So I went and bought me a Redbone deer dog..
Never hunted with dogs being from Minnesota. So I took the dog out and waited to see what would happen. Sat down on a fallen tree and heard a noise coming towards me. Looked up and here came a buck running right at me. I dropped off of the tree and the deer jumped over the tree with the dog right behind. Finally got the dog back. That ended my deer hunting in Florida. When I got out I brought her up to Minnesota. Broke her off of deer and she turned into one hell of a coon dog.
I still hunted deer in Southern Minnesota, but without the dog. Just a Noble pump 16 gauge.
waggo71
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:30 pm  Reply with quote

Several deer with foster slugs, growing up in ohio makes it a necessity. Most with a model 12 prewar modified choke, one with a remington model 11 full choke that shoots a slug better than a fellow could reasonably hope or expect.

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:32 am  Reply with quote

I'm hoping to find a sxs that shoots slugs accurately, but it's probably wishful thinking. Buckshot for deer makes sense, at short ranges anyway. I would sure hate to wound one though.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
onefunzr2
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:25 am  Reply with quote

Y buck, my first ever! With a punkin' ball out of a paper hull in 1959 using my father's Ithaca 37. [I didn't get my own 16ga until 3 years later and didn't manage to hunt deer with a rifle until 1965.] Shot on the family farm. I was 2 weeks shy of my 10th birthday so technically didn't qualify for a PA hunting license. So to satisfy the letter of the law that is a homemade 'crop damage' ear tag.

Btw, that's my shortnose collie, Petro.

Biggest game I ever hunted with a 16ga. Only bigger would be black bear and there are none where I live. But I have no doubt that a 16ga slug could bring one to bag.

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:37 pm  Reply with quote

Great pic. Those are some good times right there. Cool truck in the background too. Is that an International Harvester?