16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Sweet sixteen question
fin2feather
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:46 pm  Reply with quote

Was at a flea market today and a seller had a Browning auto tagged as a Sweet Sixteen. Weren't the actual Sweet 16's stamped or marked as such? It looked to be a real nice A5 in 16ga but I coudn't find any such stamps or markings. I wasn't interested, just curious. Thanks...

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:46 pm  Reply with quote

If it's not marked on the reciever"Sweet Sixteen" It is a 16 in a 12 gauge frame.
fn16ga
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:50 am  Reply with quote

hoashooter wrote:
If it's not marked on the reciever"Sweet Sixteen" It is a 16 in a 12 gauge frame.

The 16ga A5 was never made on a 12ga frame . All 16ga A5s where built on there own frames .

It is either a standard weight 16ga or a light weight (sweet 16)

The first sweet sixteens were not marked on the receiver as such . Pre WW II guns (1936- 1940 ) and post war guns ( one year ) 1947 with an X prefix serial number. after that they should have SWEET SIXTEEN on left side of the receiver . They are identified by having a gold plated trigger and safety and extra machining on the inside of the receivers by the loading port to reduce weight . The butt stocks were also hollowed out to reduce weight.

It is possible for someone to have added a gold trigger and safety to a standard weight gun and try to pass it off as a sweet . If it doesn"t have the extra ( lightening ) machining inside the receiver it is not a true Sweet Sixteen .
spr310
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:25 am  Reply with quote

fn16ga is right. I at one time had an A5 16 ga made in 1939. It weighed 7lb 2 oz. Had all the features of a Sweet 16 except the marking on the receiver. In fact it may have been sold to some one on this forum. Can't remember as at the time my brother and I had 6 A-5's for sale. Some were sold here and a couple on other sites. That was about ten years ago.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:10 pm  Reply with quote

Live and learn--I stand corrected
popplecop
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:40 am  Reply with quote

Have a Sweet 16 from 62 without the gold safety, have a standard from 32, like them both.

fn16ga
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:16 am  Reply with quote

popplecop wrote:
Have a Sweet 16 from 62 without the gold safety, have a standard from 32, like them both.

My bad, forgot to mention , the only ones that have the gold safeties are the guns with the safety mounted in the trigger guard (in front of the trigger), the guns with the safety behind the trigger , only had gold triggers not gold safeties.

All A5 16gas are great guns , I have several of both models and love them all. The 2 very early straight stock models I have are lighter than any of my sweets .

http://i.imgur.com/0CxnJCr.jpg?3
Old16ga
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:07 pm  Reply with quote

fn16ga wrote:
popplecop wrote:

My bad, forgot to mention , the only ones that have the gold safeties are the guns with the safety mounted in the trigger guard (in front of the trigger), the guns with the safety behind the trigger , only had gold triggers not gold safeties.

All A5 16gas are great guns , I have several of both models and love them all. The 2 very early straight stock models I have are lighter than any of my sweets .

http://i.imgur.com/0CxnJCr.jpg?3

I never even knew they made a straight stocked model. Learn something every day!

My other shotgun is a 28!

The 28 Gauge Society