16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Winchester 1400 vs 1400 MKII
BarkeyVA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:40 pm  Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between a Winchester 1400 and one marked 1400 MKII?

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:23 am  Reply with quote

I believe the basic design of the Winchester 1400 gas operated semi automatic is the same for any of the various model designations including the Mk II, the Model 1500, and the 1400 XTR versions. Any cosmetic and styling differences incorporated over the several decades the gun was made are mostly window dressing.

The 1400 models are well made. The rotory bolt lock up is well designed, and one of the strongest ones ever found in a repeating shotgun. Also, I believe Olin/Winchester first introduced Winchoke barrels with interchangeable, screw-in choke tubes on the 1400 and it's pump action counterpart, the Model 1200 and 1300. I think these two models were the very first mass produced repeating shotguns to come with OEM interchangeable choke tubes. Also, the receivers are manufactured from an aircraft grade aluminum alloy. Even though the 16 ga models are built on a 12 ga frame, the guns are not overly heavy or poorly balanced. The 16 ga barrels are well tapered and not excessively heavy like those found on the most recently made 16 ga Remington 1100 and 870 models.

However, be advised. The Model 1400 gas operating system is not nearly as forgiving as that of a Remington 1100 when it comes to firing residue build up. The system must be frequently and thoroughly cleaned, or failures to cycle will be a certainty. A frequently cleaned, well maintained one will serve it's owner very well.
oneeyednine1029
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:50 am  Reply with quote

BarkeyVA , I got an early Mk I about 2 months ago in 12 gauge. It has a 26" IC plain barrel. I diassembled and thoroughly cleaned it and gave it a good "goin over". Took it out back and ran a few rounds thru it. I have about 3/4 of a case of Win AA low noise low recoil loads , so , I figured whats the harm in tryin' right ? I don't know if I did enough of a job cleaning the thing , but it will cycle these loads reliably. I'm talkin 95%. It's a nice little gun , in decent shape. It's just starting to show a tiny amount of wear on the bottom of the receiver , probably from carrying. I was looking into getting a screw in choke barrel for it. I saw a Mk II barrel on E bay , so I watched and waited..... $385.00 WOW !!!! I only have $250 into the gun...
I got to talkin to a guy and he said the barrels should interchange. For that price , I'm likin the IC barrel more and more. I also have a 1500 xtr from around 1980 or so. They're nice guns too , but like any gas auto , the cleaner ya keep 'em , the better they run... I'll have to get some pictures of the two of them up.
Oh , I almost forgot. I remember reading a review somehwere about the 1400. The guy gave it a solid review. The one thing that stuck in my head was this. The guy said the only thing bad about the 1400, is it came out one year after the Remington 1100...

Savage Fox B model
1972 Reno double barrel
Mossberg model 190 bolt action
JC Higgins bolt action
BarkeyVA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:53 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments so far.

Are any of the "older" model 16 ga. semi-autos (Remington, Winchester, etc.?)made on a down-sized frame?

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:32 am  Reply with quote

Barkey - probably the only gauge sized receiver builds are the 11-48 type and the 48 copies of later date .... the 59 winchester was the 1st win choke gun -far ahead of it's time .
spr310
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:37 am  Reply with quote

Still got a 1400 16 gauge for sale
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=328059
pbeaver
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:16 pm  Reply with quote

16gaDavis wrote:
Barkey - probably the only gauge sized receiver builds are the 11-48 type and the 48 copies of later date .... the 59 winchester was the 1st win choke gun -far ahead of it's time .

A point of interest, the 1100 16 ga has the same basic frame size as an 11-48. A 12 ga 11-48 has a larger frame than a 12 ga 1100. From that perspective, the 1100 has a true 16 ga frame, which it shares with the 12 ga.

Phil
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:03 am  Reply with quote

Frame size......much ado over nothing, in 95% cases.

I guess I am not an aficionado of 16 Gauge shotguns, I just like to shoot them.

I will let others measure, weigh and wring their hands, over some supposed advantage/disadvantage that one frame has over another.

pbeaver
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:20 pm  Reply with quote

I can't confirm it, but I think the MKII designation was added when they put the carrier release button on it. The original ones required you slide your thumb in and push forward on the shell follower.

Phil
spr310
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:46 pm  Reply with quote

pbeaver wrote:
I can't confirm it, but I think the MKII designation was added when they put the carrier release button on it. The original ones required you slide your thumb in and push forward on the shell follower.

Phil

wwrong Carrier release was on the front of the reciver hooked to the magazine on the throat. Changed it on the 1500.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:57 pm  Reply with quote

Many of the Model 1400 shotguns were purchased for bird hunting and water fowling before steel shot became mandatory. Some of the older barrels may not be compatable with steel or some of the other types of harder non-toxic shot.

Which reminds me that most of the failure to cycle problems we've heard about with the Model 1400 and 1500 guns about came from folks who tended to think semi-automatic meant the guns would automatically cycle any old load, reload, or stepped on and squashed load. The same guns would automatically clean themselves, like a self-cleaning oven. They would also automatically qualify for free warranty service including a factory provided thorough cleaning and lubing anytime the guns failed to cycle. So I guess automatic also means factory provided perpetual care to some owners. Very Happy
BarkeyVA
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:29 pm  Reply with quote

I talked to a guy who has a 1400 he might sell. He said it worked okay last fall, but when he tried the gun the other day, it ejected 3/4oz loads okay but the carrier catches and would not release to put up another shell into the chamber.

He thinks the throat might be worn and needs to be replaced. He had replaced the forearm with one from a 1500 some time ago and had to notch out on the forearm for the carrier release. He also thinks the notch in the forearm might not be deep enough and the release is hanging up, although it worked okay last fall.

Any other ideas on what might be going on with it?