16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Franchi AL 48 In 28 Gauge for Wife!! Just purchased.
bird buster
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:22 pm  Reply with quote

Smile Hey Guys,

Don't be mad at me for talking 28 gauge. I have too many sixteens for now so I have been shopping for the wife. At least that is what I told her. I have always heard people rave about the Franchi AL 48 so I decided to try one. I found a good deal on a deluxe 28 so I bought it. I think it will be fine for my wife but probably a little whippy for me. She does not shoot much so the cost of shells won't kill me plus a friend reloads so I will kick him a little extra. My wife has tried my A5'S in both sixteen and 20 flavor but recoil was harsh for her. Even though the Franchi is basically an aluminum A5, I think the 28 will be manageable for her. Any experience here to offer?? I sold my wife's 11-87 Upland in 20 gauge because it was heavy for her like typical Remingtons are. Can't wait to try the Franchi. Let me know how the Franchi has been for you all. This will be our first 28 gauge.
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:39 pm  Reply with quote

Please let us know what your wife thinks. Unfortuately, her perceived recoil with the Franchi may be no less than with the heavier gas operated 20g 11-87. I would still add a Kick-Eze or Limb Saver pad after cutting the stock for the correct LOP and a bit more pitch (so the toe doesn't jab her chest) Hope it works out for you both and please tell us this wasn't her anniversary present! Wink

87016ga
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:31 pm  Reply with quote

i can 2nd revs reply 100%.
while a reliable and nimble gun, i think she(you) will find the recoil issues still are there Confused
LGF
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:50 pm  Reply with quote

Echo the comments about recoil. I had an AL 48 in 28 that was a lot of fun to shoot but that I found had more felt recoil than my son's youth model 1100 LT20. It's a very light gun. Still, though, they are indeed a lot of fun to shoot, as are 28's in general. I hope you enjoy it.
AmarilloMike
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:15 pm  Reply with quote

I hunted quail with a 48AL28 for a season (3 seasons ago). Absolutely a wonderful gun. You have to keep the outside of the magazine tube clean AND dry - no oil. They are very reliable if you do and an absolute delight. And yes, the felt recoil was more than a 28 o/u - but still not much. I really liked mine and kick myself for selling it. It weighed 5pounds 9 ounces and I hunted with a cylinder choke over pointing dogs.

Mike
brdhnt
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:12 am  Reply with quote

Bird Buster,

My AL-48 in 28 gauge has been used on quail and doves all over the US. I would recommend a good recoil pad if you are going to use it on the skeet course.

Mine has a LimbSaver with two 1/4" spacers so I can use it as a training gun for youngsters and young ladies.

It does require some practice since it is a little "whippy". Of course the practice gives me a chance to shoot a favorite 28 gauge, so it is a win / win situation.

Tell your wife that you bought it just for her, get a spacer to lengthen the stock to your dimensions and enjoy.

TMB
________
ANGELINA JOLIE PICTURES

Last edited by brdhnt on Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
mdoerner
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:52 am  Reply with quote

If you get a reloader, you might be able to get a low velocity/load weight reloading recipe that will still cycle the action in 28 Gauge. Or maybe your buddy can roll some for you and see how she likes it.....

Mike Doerner
dannypratt
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:20 pm  Reply with quote

Hey there,
I've got an AL-48 in 12 ga., wanted one in 28 for a long time, but I always end up buying another Auto-5. I cannot stress enough the no oil on the magazine tube. The bronze or brass ring in your gun offers enough lubrication on its own and it will not hurt the magazine tube. This is how all of these long recoil guns are designed, including the A-5. Alot of people say that long recoil = bad recoil, but that is only because they have them set too light, or have a slobbering of oil on the magazine tube. I've got just about every gauge & style of long recoil shotgun you can get from Remington, Browning, Savage, SKB, Franchi, and some of the copy/spin-offs of the last three. All of them are easy on the recoil when set properly.
Enjoy that AL-48, what a trim little gem. Wish they would wake up at Franchi and offer a 16.
-danny
3crosses
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:49 pm  Reply with quote

Make sure you get the 3/4 load for her and leave the 1 oz. load at the store or recoil will be noticable. I believe Fiochi has a skeet load of 3/4 oz at 1200 fps. A really soft shooting load.