16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  1st post and a citori ?
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:37 am  Reply with quote

If the gun has some handling marks, it is now a used gun under any circumstance. It cannot be considered "as new." Most shops don't allow their new guns to be marked up from shop wear will usually deal on one that shows any after some shelf time. Patience is the key.

In this deal, the owner wants you to pick up the tab for the consignment fee. He probably paid under $1400 for this gun given its age. In 2001, these guns went for $1390 or a bit less. Yes, the gun might sell to someone with more expendable cash than you. However, fair is fair, and this one is not fairly priced. I'd hold out for a better deal.

In the meantime use that time wisely to find out exactly what the gun is. Get the entire serial number and call Browning corporate in Utah. They are on the net. They will tell you exactly what model the gun is. If it is a Gran Lightning, it will have a flat, non-glossy finish. Plus, the wood will have a very high degree of figure. You'd know one on sight if you've seen one before. If so, the price is very good as is.

Let your common sense work for you. Do not get froggy. It almost never works out. Be cautious and careful. Caveat Emptor. If you do not feel like you are getting a fair deal, you most likely will never be truely comfortable with the gun. That is basic human nature.
gunflint charlie
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:05 am  Reply with quote

A Gran Lightning won't have the glossy wood finish shown on the grade 1 photos on the Hanus website.
DVR
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:46 pm  Reply with quote

i am going to get more info asap. this gun does have a glossy finish. the gun also has wood much better looking than grade 1. these are things i know for sure. i have a citori satin hunter and that is not what the 16ga wood is finished like.
the mark(s) in the finish is very difficult to notice. had i ordered it new and it came in with these marks i may not have noticed. in that case had i noticed i would have refused the gun.

i am more detail focused but in this case i was doing everything i could to get away from the gun to avoid a purchase. it was in the passing days i found myself feeling like i "needed" it.
granitecityminnesota
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:41 pm  Reply with quote

I looked around for a little while before I found a sporting goods store that purchased a few 2004 Citori's. I paid $1500 and the gun had 26" barrels (I like short barrels). The wood was very good and had lots of character for a Grade I. I bought this about 6 months ago.

Did others buy their for less..........yes, in the past there where more around.

I took it home and stared at it for hours........it was perfect, the finish was perfect...till 3 days later when another gun fell on it when I was moving them around outside my gun safe. After I cried for a moment, I had forgotten.....I buy all my guns to hunt with. If that gun you are looking at has microscopic scratches wait till you go out in the field. The first scratch is inevitable. Very Happy

If you like it go down there with 1500 cash and lay it on the table and get on with your life. Like the other person said gas isnt cheap and you aint going to find anyone giving a new citori away anywhere. I havent regretted my purchase even if it wasnt the deal of the century.