16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Do you shoot registered trap?

Do you shoot registered trap?
Yes
12%
 12%  [ 3 ]
No
88%
 88%  [ 22 ]
Total Votes : 25

revdocdrew
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:03 am  Reply with quote

The '16g' trap thread raises this question.
And if 'used to and quit'- why?

Foursquare
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:12 am  Reply with quote

Shot a trap once. The wife had one hell of a time gettin' the steel parts to come out tender. Smile

Pete

" .......you have learned patience and stubbornness and concentration on what you really want at the expense of what is there to shoot. You have learned that man can as easily be debased as ennobled by a sport....."
bustingclays
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:29 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen:

I don't shoot registered trap. I do, however, shoot in a trap league - with a 16 ga faithfully each week Cool . I am the only one. There are also few who shoot in this league who shoot and ounce or less shot Confused

I shoot at Edwardsville Gun Club - Oldest in the Nation Smile on Thursday league night.

I must admit if I break 45 each week I am doing well - skeet is my game Wink I have run 50 straight in trap (16 and 22 yards) with a Fox Model B 16 in the league and quite a few 48s with the Remington Classic 1100 16 ga (I know, I know, on a 12 gauge frame Rolling Eyes )

The Grand starts next week here - 50 miles away. Unfortunately I will be in Memphis the first week and the second week is the week before the fall semester. I am hoping to go fondle all the guns I can.

I am also hoping that Larry B. told the Stefano Sister's to attend the Grand - although a couple of my dealer friends said they were kind of stand-offish in Las Vegas at the SHOT show.

Dr. 16 Gauge
XVIgauge
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:46 pm  Reply with quote

I used to shoot registered skeet. I know that this is a trap question, but why I quit registered skeet would probably be the same reason one might quit registered trap.
Anyway, I quit shooting registered simply because it wasn't fun anymore. I could not relax and have a fun time shooting because everyone seemed so uptight. Also, the expense for shooting 4 guns in a tournament was a consideration.
XVI

Wolfchief
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:59 pm  Reply with quote

Amen, XVI Ga.---if I wanted to tense up about it, I'd just go in to the office and work. I shoot UNregistered skeet for the companionship, the gun talk and to tune up for bird season. If the law, the weather and my wife would allow it, I'd bird hunt year-round.

Also, registered shooting simply costs too much---why pay $30 for gas to travel long distances to shoot registered and another $30 to shoot 100 birds when, at my local club 14 miles from home, that amount buys me 250 birds to shoot at; ie 2 1/2 times more recreation ?

TJC
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:07 pm  Reply with quote

I don't shoot reg trap but have been shooting at my local club for the last 9-10 weeks. I shoot my Citori Feather with Rem Game Loads. Best scores run 92-95. Bad days run 86-89. But I have a lot of fun shooting the birds and "the bull". Laughing

Cost for 100 birds is $10. Where else am I going to go on Sunday morning and have as much fun for that price Question

revdocdrew
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:13 pm  Reply with quote

"Where else am I going to go on Sunday morning and have as much fun for that price"
CHURCH MAYBE Rolling Eyes (It's not like you HAVE to tithe Very Happy )

(couldn't let that one fly by Wink )

TJC
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:08 am  Reply with quote

OK Rev, not like I shouldn't have been expecting that one. Wink

offhand35
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:44 am  Reply with quote

I shoot 4 rounds of trap almost every week, depending on work scheduling....
This year, I have been shooting my 16ga 1934 Auto-5 with 30" plain bbl. When I become accustomed to a gun, I typically shoot 94's to 96's, and this is what I have been getting.

I have found the lighter weight and different balance of the long barreled 16ga A-5 to be much more lively than the 12ga version...

I have found the LOP on the 2 early 30's A-5's that I have to be 13 3/4", which has turned out to be a better fit for me than the typical trap LOP of 14-14 1/2".

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:52 am  Reply with quote

I shoot skeet for recreation as well as some of the other shotgun games. These are all shot with the classic low gun start. I do my best at them but my scores are not the primary reason I shoot these games. Its more for wingshooting practice.

Registered and league trap is my chosen discipline. Yes, it could be considered recreation, but trap shooting has not got a lot in common with normal wingshooting. Trap is a shotgun discipline. The competition is just too good to go about it without a game plan and structured practice.

I've learned quite a bit about focus, concentration, and self-control under pressure and adverse and varied conditions. I've learned to relax myself when things get sticky or start to go wrong. I've learned to analyze the problem and find a solution under duress. As I've continued in the process, my scores have gone up.

I'd say I've come out ahead in a number of ways from shooting registered trap. It's not for everyone, but its been good for me. Each to his own.

Last edited by 16gaugeguy on Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Dongotto
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:17 am  Reply with quote

Yes I shoot reg trap, and skeet.

old16
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:44 am  Reply with quote

I'm still a member but I have not shot registered for years. I do shoot 2 or 3 times a month when I can at local clubs. We shoot 10 bird for money on first or second place payoff. There can be as many on the line as want to sighup at a time. The more shooters the bigger the purse each round. I shoot my 16 quite often from the 16 yard back to the 25 yard. Farther if I'm in a shootoff which is most of the time. I enjoy the competition and the bullsh. that goes on. I like going to the different clubs and beat the assholes that are always bitching and complaining. I try to give them something to complain about. Like last week when The first three shoots I was in I took first place but had to shoot off in all three shoots.( a 16 yrd.23yrd.and 25yrd. shoot off is from 35yrd.) When I got done I mentioned that I'll put my sweetie away. Couple of the guys looked at me funny so I said I mean my sweet 16ga. Mod 12. and get the 12.
]

ColoradoPaul
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:29 am  Reply with quote

When I started getting re-interested in shotgunning four or five years ago I started with trap. Shot in a league one night a week and some registered matches. The most fun was shooting in the snow, under the lights at white targets! I guess I just got bored with it and spending all day to participate in a registered shoot got old for me. However, I fully understand people’s fascination with trap and the good times associated with shooting on a team.

Now it is mostly sporting clays and skeet all starting with a low gun. I just find it more interesting and relaxing and rarely keep score. I did shoot trap for the first time in a year or so at our clubs summer fun shoot last month. Used my old 16g Model 37 and started with a low gun. Didn’t run ‘em, but didn’t embarrass myself either.