16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  My grandfathers L.C. Smith
Richtrashman
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:42 am  Reply with quote

So I was at my parents and asked to see my grandfathers shotgun I remembered seeing as a kid in a closet. Dad got it out if the safe and I almost passed out! It was a beautiful LC in decent shape with intricate carvings. It is missing the front furniture and the stock is a little beat up, but oh man what a gun!!! Specialty grade with Damascus barrels I think. Sorry about the crappy pics I took them on my phone. Any help with year/ dating would be appreciated, all numbers match. I think it's a 12 gauge, no markings for gauge or choke marks. I was elated to hold it and I wish it could tell me about my grandfather I never met.
[img][URL=http://s1345.photobucket.com/user/Richtrashman/media/image_zps32bcc348.jpg.html] [/URL][/img]

[img][URL=http://s1345.photobucket.com/user/Richtrashman/media/image_zps7975c0a4.jpg.html] [/URL][/img]
[img][URL=http://s1345.photobucket.com/user/Richtrashman/media/image_zpsbac56bc8.jpg.html] [/URL]
[/img]
[img][URL=http://s1345.photobucket.com/user/Richtrashman/media/image_zpse641d59d.jpg.html] [/URL][/img]
[img][URL=http://s1345.photobucket.com/user/Richtrashman/media/image_zps01fca3c0.jpg.html] [/URL][/img]

Flues16
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:13 am  Reply with quote

Based on the serial number, I would say it was made in 1917. Too bad the forend is missing - any chance you can locate it? It looks like a nice gun otherwise.

The "R" next to the serial number on the frame indicates it is a regular weight frame rather than the "feather weight."

skeettx
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:36 am  Reply with quote

You DO have a Specialty Grade Shocked

IS marked on the barrel Barrel

Very suprised it is Damascus

Your gun was made in 1917.

Mine Smile

Last edited by skeettx on Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:54 am; edited 2 times in total
skeettx
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:42 am  Reply with quote

The 1913 catalog states "A fine gun in all details, built to last a lifetime. Handsomely engraved . . . with fine lines of the best weapon and at a most moderate price. A thoroughly sound, serviceable gun, well fitted. Every attention has been paid to produce in this our Specialty grade a well-balanced and good shooting-gun and we have every confidence in recommending it to sportsmen who are desirous of having a high quality gun and do not feel justified in purchasing our highest." Base price in 1913 was $64. The Hunter One-Trigger added $25 and ejectors added $11. The base price was $131 in 1945. As with the lower grades, it was available in 10, 12, 16, and 20 gauges with the 410 being available later. Barrels were Nitro Steel, or Damascus Steel could be ordered. Common barrel lengths were 26, 28, 30, and 32 inches and were "bored any way you choose." The nicely figured walnut stocks were available in full pistol, half pistol, and straight grips. L.C. SMITH was engraved on the lock plates. A pair of quail was engraved on the left lock plate, and a waterfowl scene was engraved on the right. The serial number was engraved on the trigger guard extension. The regular rib had a precious metal bar inlaid at the junction of the rib and rib extension. This bar was not present on guns with ventilated ribs or raised ribs. The left barrel was roll-stamped HUNTER ARMS CO. INC. M'F'R'S FULTON, N.Y., U.S.A. The right barrel was roll-stamped L.C. SMITH SPECIALTY GRADE. Most of the Specialty Grade guns were made between 1912 and 1945, but a few were made by the LC. Smith Gun Company between 1945 and 1950. The total production was 6,911 (19 10-gauge, 5,032 12-gauge, 720 16-gauge, 1,100 20-gauge, and 40 .410). Automatic ejectors were placed on 6,012 shotguns.

http://www.lcsmith.org/shotguns/1913grades.html
skeettx
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:57 am  Reply with quote

So with yours being a damacsus, extractor, two triggered gun, it is
most likey RARE Very Happy

I sure would check the gauge, Might be a 10 GAUGE !!!!!!
What length barrels?

http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?Keywords=specialty+smith

Mike
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:08 am  Reply with quote

Looks like chain damascus to me. What do the experts think?
Richtrashman
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:26 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the info so far. No chance of the forend being located. Also I don't think it has extractors, the rings looked smooth where the shells load ( forgive my ignorance of the terminology, never messed with doubles in my life) could be wrong. I plead total ignorance. Also dad had a 12 gauge slug in the safe so I slipped it in and it fit quite well, so I would assume a 12. Again thanks for the info, if it would have been marked a 16 I probably would have had a cardiac issue on the spot.

skeettx
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:35 am  Reply with quote

What a FUN thread!!

Yes, I do believe extractors and not ejectors as you surmise.

Sometimes if you look in the old leather gun case, there is a special
pocket for the forearm.

Mike

Last edited by skeettx on Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total
skeettx
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:38 am  Reply with quote

AND SOMETIMES Shocked
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Early-L-C-Smith-12-Gauge-Forearm-Extractor-Type-Vintage-Shotgun-Parts-/291046856999?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43c3be9927#ht_44wt_1129

Last edited by skeettx on Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:45 am  Reply with quote

I think the Red Gods want that shotgun to be hunted, not in a closet or safe.

And They Must Be Obeyed.
Richtrashman
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:15 pm  Reply with quote

Skeet-- so that forearm and extractors are all in one piece I guess? Was wondering how it all stayed together! U were quick on the draw w/that one!

Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:55 pm  Reply with quote

Not exactly.

Most ejector guns have a mechanism involving powerful springs in the foreend to drive the ejectors and recock them for the next go-round. Similarly, extractor guns have mechanisms, not involving powerful springs, also usually located in the foreend, to drive the extractors. Since in an extractor gun there are no twanging springs involved to flip out the empties on ejectors, the extractor mechanisms are generally much simpler and more reliable.

So it's pretty easy to tell, if you know what to look for, whether the foreend is for extractors or ejectors.

The foreend comprises 4 main assemblies: the wooden grip, a latching mechanism that holds the entire assembly to the barrels, a hingeplate that mates the assembled (barrel-and-foreend) barrels to the hingepin on the receiver, and the extractor or ejector mechanism. Once the barrels are set on the receiver's hingepin, the assembled foreend serves also to hold the barrels to the receiver, i.e., keep the gun together.

Finding for sale an appropriate foreend for a 1917 gun needing one is extremely uncommon ... hint, hint ... and getting one made is usually hideously expensive.
Sam Ogle
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:12 pm  Reply with quote

That's a WOW gun.
Laxcoach1
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:38 pm  Reply with quote

Flues,
The gun is certainly a FW and not a regular frame. Nobody knows what the R suffix means, and you only need to observe the point at the top of the sideplates to know that it is a featherweight frame.
skeettx
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:49 pm  Reply with quote

See the top of the sidelock

This is a regular

This is a featherweight

fun reading see here
http://lcsmith.org/shotguns/engineering.html

Mike