16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  any shooters here reside in Scotland.
old16
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:39 am  Reply with quote

This past summer I finely retired. I'm planing to go across the pond and look up some of our roots. Not one to follow a tour pkg. I like to go any direction where and when I want to. Just want to touch base with someone before I go to maybe get some information. Thanks Bill[/u]

jschultz
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:46 pm  Reply with quote

I went to Scotland to help celebrate the Glorious Twelfth and recommend that when you go, be sure and take your shotgun. Red Grouse are fun to hunt either as a driven shoot or a rough shoot.
Doggai
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:33 pm  Reply with quote

You'll find that the accommodations in some of the rural hotels are somewhat less than you're used to here in the US. I've been over there many times in the past 40 years. My last trip I bought my WW Greener gun. The rural folks are pleasant and generous in their friendship. They don't however, have the financial resources that we enjoy and it's good to be self deprecating, not boastful in their company.

It wouldn't hurt if you spent a some time familiarizing yourself with the history of the country. And, most important, the current movement for independence. You want to know both sides of the question, for or against, so you can intelligently discuss the issue if it comes up in a local pub. And, for god's sake, never accept a challenge to a game of darts unless you're willing to be skinned for a pint of suds for the winner. On the other hand, nothing warms the cockles of a Scots heart than knowing he/she has a fish on the line. Generally, the innate nature of the Scot is to skin where he can, but extend the hand of friendship afterwards.

Have a great trip. Try not to fall in love with the country, as I did.

Browning Double Auto Twelvette
Browning Double Auto Twentyweight
Remington 1100 12 2 barrels
Charles Daly SxS 28
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:11 pm  Reply with quote

Shooting in Scotland and England is a frequent topic over at Doublegun Forum and there are a couple of regular post-ers there who are in England/Scotland and hunt/shoot there regularly. So, I'll recommend asking there, too.

Sounds like a fun trip!