16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Active 16ga shells?
Dongotto
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:11 pm  Reply with quote

I found some active 1oz 7 1/2 shot at a gun show this weekend for $2.00 a box. They are boxes of 20 and say gamemaster. I couldnt pass them up but I wonder if any of you have shot them and how were they. There were only 5 boxes and I bought them all.

Jason

brdhnt
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:15 pm  Reply with quote

The Activ shells were very well made one-piece compression hulls. They had a greater case capacity than any other shell, so if you want to use them for light loads you may be out of luck since the Activ hulls needed the Activ wads for their lighter loads.

For heavy 1 1/8th ounce loads or even 1 1/4 ounce loads, they are very good shells. PM me and I'll give you some of the different receipes I have for them.

TMB
________
Ultimate fighters

Last edited by brdhnt on Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scolari
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:25 am  Reply with quote

I used to use them back when K-Mart sold them. You are right, 20 to a box. They worked fine except in hot weather. I'm not sure if the plastic got softer but the ejector on my auto would pull the plastic off and then I had to pry the hull out. The problem only happended on hot summer days.
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:48 am  Reply with quote

I agree with BRDHNT the active empty hulls are great they load very nice and last, wish they still made them.
old16
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:56 am  Reply with quote

I have several boxes of them yet I bought several years ago. I am still using the hulls. I also have several brand new hulls I bought several years ago. Just go to Ballistics Products and get the BP wad. Its the same wad that active used.
What I do is build the wad colum up by using a overpowder wad first then seat the BP wad on top. Circle Fly has several thickness of overpowder wad so there is no problem on componets.
The only trouble I have had with them is in the 20ga. In the winter when its below 20degrees I have had them come apart about an inch up from the rim. You should always check your gun if anything does not function properly. When they came apart I had one that the mid section stayed in the barrel about half way down. Don't just glance down the barrel but make sure you check it for any obstructions sometime it will look good until you take a second glance.
This has happen with some of the new AA hulls. I understand that winchester has changed their hull to eliminate the problem.

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:24 am  Reply with quote

the two Remington wads and a WW16AA wad will work in the Activ hull and any of the bigger cases if you seat them into a polyethylene patch cut from one of the thicker food storage bags first. The patch can be square for simplicity, but should be big enough to surround the wad base. Seating the wad into the case with the patch in place is very easy on a MEC press with either style wad guide. Just center the patch over the mouth of the guide, push the wad slightly in without splaying the fingers, and ram home as usual. This stops powder migration cold.