16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Looking for very light recoil load for 16 ga for wife
Slowpoke Slim
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:30 am  Reply with quote

New member here, not new to reloading, but been pretty much loading "standard" loads for field use out of my 16's. I'm looking for as light as possible of a 16 ga load for my wife to shoot cowboy action shooting with. She's been shooting Rem game loads, which are 1 ounce 2 1/2 dram loads at 1200 fps (according to Rem). They still punch her a little too much and I was looking for a lighter load with less pressure.

I've tried a Hodgdon load of 18 gr of Universal, Rem hull, Rem wad, and 1 ounce of shot, but the column highdth is too short to form a good crimp. That load is right out of the Hodgdon guide, but I can't get it to work.

I'm looking for either 7/8 ounce or 1 ounce load that goes under 1200 fps, and hopefully low pressure for easy extraction in her double.

I'm open to using different components if someone has a load that gets me there with a different hull/wad combo.

Thanks.

P.S. Can someone please tell me where I can get the Rem "R-16" wads? I didn't know these were available!

Thanks again.
Chukarman
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:07 am  Reply with quote

R16 wads are very hard to find. with the exception of a special run of wads last year, they have not been available for years.

I would use the Hodgdon's load you mentioned. I assume this is an SP-16 wad, which is a 1-1/8 oz. wad. You will need to put a lightweight 1/8" (.125")spacer inside the shot cup before you drop the shot. A 28 ga felt wad, a disk of 1/8" thick styrofoam, or a single piece of puffed wheat. This will raise the shot column up enough to give you a good crimp.

C Man

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:21 am  Reply with quote

Last time I checked you can get R16 wads from Recob's Target shop. They are on the net. About the nicest shooting Load I've tried is a 3/4 ounce load of #9 or #8 shot over 16 grains of Green Dot. Use the Remington GL16 hull that takes a 209 primer. Put two 28 ga., .135" thick card wads into the R16 wadcup as a filler. Crimp as usual. This one shoots easier than a 28 ga. load and wallups skeet target and small quail sized birds nicely.

Drop 7/8 ounce of #7-12 or #8 shot, deduct one 28 ga. card wad and use the same componants and powder charge for an easy shooting sporting clays and trap singles load. This one can be also used on grouse and early season stocked pheasant with hard #6 or better yet, hard #7 pigeon shot.

You can use SP-16 wads in a pinch for the same loads if you add one more 28 ga. card wad into the shot cup. You can also safely take the powder charge up a half grain to 16.5 for better game loads, but the recoil is more noticable, especially with the 7/8 ounce load. Good luck.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:07 pm  Reply with quote

I put my spacer wads on TOP of the shot AFTER the drop!!!!At close range it will not harm the pattern and eliminates the chance of it sticking in the shot drop tube Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:35 pm  Reply with quote

Your solution to your hypothetical problem is about like the guy who invents a steel umbrella in case it rains 16 penny nails. Come on now. how silly can it get.

I have never, in 30 years of reloading, had a properly sized filler wad stick in a shot drop tube. You can't force a 28 ga. nitro card into a 16 ga drop tube edgewise without a real effort. If the wad is laying flat like its supposed to, there is no way in hell one will enter the drop tube. Sometimes you guys think up the darnest hypothetical problems I've ever heard of. Rolling Eyes Geez. you've been into the pepermint shnaps again haven't you. After this one, I think i'll go have a slug or two myself. Confused
pumpgun
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:07 pm  Reply with quote

I've had good success loading 1/2 inch 28g fibre wads into an SP-16, and loading 3/4 oz. http://www.circlefly.com/

Have 10,000 R-16's, but haven't loaded any yet; with this combo I could load a 5/8 oz. load Razz
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:22 pm  Reply with quote

yup. About 14.5 grains of Red dot will do the job. It makes a killer snipe and woodcock load for close in shooting and its deadly on stocked quail. Try it. you'll like it. Smile