16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Permanent emergency kit in your vest?
goathoof
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:11 am  Reply with quote

In addition to several of the emergency items mentioned, I pack a small medical kit with local anasthetic, sutures, antibiotics, and assorted instruments. It has come in handy for human accidents, but only have used it on our dogs at home and not in the field. I have a kit for the car, backpack, and my hockey bag.
16'er
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:55 pm  Reply with quote

A hemo-static bandage of some sort might be a good idea in case either hunter or dog gets stuck/cut badly.

I rarely get "backcountry" any more. But even when out deer hunting I'll carry fully charged phone, some cord, headlamp, lighter, etc. I'm only 1/2 mile from my house so that seems reasonable!

I used to rock climb, back in college. One night two of us got stuck on the approach trail. Since there was a waterfall adjacent to the trail, which was known to kill somebody every two years or so from over shooting the trail and dropping ~70ft on to rocks, we decided to wait it out until dawn. We were at least a mile from the waterfall, but in the dark, we couldn't keep on the trail. We were doing pretty good until the rain started. I was much better prepared after that long night. It was chilly, but luckily not hypothermia cold. Sometimes you have to learn some hard lessons when you're younger. We thought for sure we would be off that mountain and back to the car before dark...

After that, I'd always carry a first aid kit with instant cold pack, extra cord, Heavy space blanket/tarp, extra layer, lighter/matches. That was back before cell phones..
Stack16
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:22 pm  Reply with quote

[quote="jschultz"]Seems as if most you you are prepared. P38. I wonder if they are still being made?

I see them at gun shows, some want a dollar a piece, some want 2 dollars. I've even seen bigger versions of them some where. I still have one from swamp east Asia on a key ring, had to quit putting it in my pocket as the thing kept opening up and poking me in the leg.

Griff
Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:34 pm  Reply with quote

Hey Stack16! You still making use of the mojo dove? Hadn't heard from you lately, good to know you are still listening, Mr. Deadeye with an A5/16.

Reno

dannypratt
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:51 pm  Reply with quote

Hey guys,
I carry a non folding hunting knife, a lockback Buck Bucklite knife, a magnifying lens for firestarting and wound inspection, strike anywhere matches, 4-6 granola bars, a few rods of jerky, fully charged and turned off smartphone, gloves, stocking cap, whistle, compass, mini led flashlight on keys, surefire flashlight, multi tool (sometimes) and a .357 j-frame s&w with three speedloaders.
Sounds like a lot, but this stuff easily carries in my hunting coat/vest (actually I now carry a camoskinz face mask instead of the stocking cap) and the. 357 rides on my hip. I carry this stuff all season and never vary the contents. You can't be too careful even a few miles from home.
I would never consider hiking or hunting without a sidearm. Never.

PS. I also ALWAYS carry 3-4 Hot Hands warming pouches. Amazing.g what some warmth can do!

Casey
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:02 am  Reply with quote

I always carry a small container of styptic powder as well. Stops ear,paw and tail cuts and tears till we get back to the truck.Burns when applied ,but works.
Jagdhund
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:49 pm  Reply with quote

On my short jaunts, especially if I'm out alone, I wear a Boyt strap vest. In the game pouch, I have a nylon lady's make-up zippered bag containing a compass, a packet of Puffs To Go for blowing my nose or wiping other things, strike anywhere matches, alcohol swabs for cleaning wounds or starting fires, cotton balls and wax fire starters and a space blanket. Generally, I'll also have an extra pair of gloves and a water bottle for me and one for the dogs if we are going out on the dry dusty Plains.

Attached to the left strap is a G.I. surplus compass pouch containing a "Bandage, First Aid, Camouflage". I also have a small packet of "quick clot".

I also have a pack vest I use for long treks (a mile or so) from the truck. The good thing about it, is you can carry a lot of stuff. The bad thing is, you can carry a lot of stuff Smile and it can get heavy. It has much the same emergency kit as the other vest, plus energy bars and sometimes, a lunch.

No matter which vest I use, I have a Zippo (vintage Viet Nam) and generally a belt knife, pocket knife and the ubiquitous cell phone. Neither the two legged or four legged varmints are bad enough around here to warrant the carrying of a side arm.

Gamekeeper
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:52 am  Reply with quote

Years ago I used to carry my strike anywhere matches inside a paper cased 16 gauge shell with a paper cased 12 gauge shell over the top, it worked for years and was waterproof, I'm not sure if plastic hulls will work as well, I must give it a try. Wink

Jagdhund
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:09 pm  Reply with quote

Gamekeeper wrote:
Years ago I used to carry my strike anywhere matches inside a paper cased 16 gauge shell with a paper cased 12 gauge shell over the top, it worked for years and was waterproof, I'm not sure if plastic hulls will work as well, I must give it a try. Wink

I remember seeing that in Outdoor Life or Sports Afield, a long time ago.

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:56 am  Reply with quote

Don't forget a few extra energy bars. I got caught in deep snow on an empty stomach once (stupid move), and my energy level dropped dangerously. An energy bar I found in my pack helped me make it back to the truck.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:48 am  Reply with quote

Jagdhund wrote:
Gamekeeper wrote:

I remember seeing that in Outdoor Life or Sports Afield, a long time ago.

Me, too. It must have been around 72 or 73 b/c after I read it in a magazine I made (from plastic shells - it worked) and carried one of those setups when I was in Scouts in that time frame. Still have it somewhere.

But I carry a couple lighters now. A lot more lights in one of those than in a whole box of matches.