16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  FOUR!!!! Oh, wait, wrong sport.
romperstomper
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:46 am  Reply with quote

Hello, all! I am yet another newbie to this site, to the 16ga. and to shotguns.

First, let me say that I love the idea of the 16ga. Society. Using the internet to keep the gauge alive and to peak the interests of others is brilliant.

Second, I just received a Mossberg 190 bolt action 16ga as a birthday present and I intend to put it to good use here in the fields and woods of CT. It's my first shotgun so I hope a 16 gauge is an appropriate platform for getting into the sport.

Anyhow, I was hoping that someone here could point me in the right direction for a begginner. Where should I start my journey into the world of shotguns? What's the first step?

Thanks in advance.

revdocdrew
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:28 am  Reply with quote

Welcome romperstomper-I moved up the "Best 16 for the money" thread. You might check the "Buying a classic SxS?" on the Guns forum also. Enjoy the hunt Very Happy but you can save yourself some painful (expensive) mistakes by finding someone to help you out.

Haiwee
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:14 pm  Reply with quote

Welcome, Romperstomper. You'll find this is a great forum, full of friendly, knowledgable folks (although we all take our fair share of good-natured ribbing).

I think most of us will agree the 16 gauge is probably the most versitile gauge out there; light enough to carry all day in the field chasing upland game, but enough gun for the larger birds such as pheasant and waterfowl. Good luck on your journey into the world of shotgunning, and feel free to solicit advice anytime (of course, with this group, you can also expect some unsolicited advice from time to time).
hoashooter
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:16 pm  Reply with quote

Listen to us--we would never lead you astray Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Wink
Jeff Mulliken
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:00 am  Reply with quote

To the question of first steps.

First.....Find a local clay target range and get someone to teach you the fundamentals of shooting flying. Make sure they understand your just starting and dont know what games or game youll be persuing so they dont teach you a style that is too specific to one game. (trap for instance)

Second.....burn some shells.
romperstomper
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:30 am  Reply with quote

I've been shooting for 10 years (mainly handguns) but the more I read about shooting shotguns the more I feel like a complete novice.

What's the difference between trap and skeet?

Embarassed

Terry Imai
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:04 pm  Reply with quote

Probably the best book to get some initial (and later on) information with shotgunning is Bob Brister's "Shotgunning: The Art and the Science", it's the bible for most serious shooters. The next thing I would do is find yourself a good instructor (level 2, if you're interested in sporting clays) and pay them to teach you the proper techniques of shooting. Hunting and shooting are different. Shooting is hitting something in the air. Hunting is getting close to your game to get it in the air. Shooting is easier to learn than hunting. A lot of people make the mistake of trying to become a good shot while hunting. Learn to be a good shot by practicing on clay targets whether it's skeet, trap or sporting clays. IMO, you'll probably become a better shot learning skeet and sporting clays. BTW, certain professions have an occupational problem that if they're good in their own job, it transfers to other endeavors. Make sure you take good care of your instructor and listen to what they have to say to you. After you get started on your shooting journey, try finding some people whose company you enjoy and are safe with their firearms and have fun with this great sport.

Good luck
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:13 pm  Reply with quote

Well said Terry and where have you been hiding? Another voice of reason! Very Happy

Terry Imai
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:17 pm  Reply with quote

Scarecrow: I haven't got a brain... only straw.
Dorothy: How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

I'm a lurker... I guess I only step in whenever needed....