16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Am I wrong. What would you do
old16
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:16 am  Reply with quote

Sit Back this may take a while.

At work a few weeks ago the company has got me training this fellow on some robots we use. He' about 35 or 40. Got wife and 3 kids. Loves the out doors and camping. Thats all he talks about. Hell tells me His Big Ford truck is not big enough to pull his 30' camper. He goes every weekend to some jolloystone or whereever them city dewllers find a bunch of people parked and call it camping. He has a four wheeler for each one of his kids that he is able to put in the back of his camper. He taks his wife and mother, mother-in-law along to these city camping grounds. Since his big Ford wasn't big Enough he thinks to pull his camper he decides he needa a bigger truck so he went and traded for a Big Dodge Daulie . Now he said he needs to get a 5th wheel because the Dodge could pull a larger camper.( I'll get to the point real quick) This guy is kind of hiper also and goes a hundred miles an hour and gets nowhere.

Well for some reason he said the magic words. He come's in one day and tell me his wife and kids and mother are sick of camping and don't want to go any more. When they do they don't want to go as much.

Oh God the flags come up and I feel it is time for an Angel like me to step in and save this pour soul.

I said Frank! do you do any hunting. He said he had shot a gun one time and tought it was fun but his wife will not let him have a gun in the house. {she is from NY.} I said well since you like camping and you need to get some use out of that truck and camper that there is some of us that do a little traveling and like to bird hunt. Well low and behold he came into work the next day and tells me his wife said he could go hunting and have a gun as long as he kept it in the garage. He said what king of gun do I need does walmart have any he could get. Well I about had a heart attack when he said walmart. I told him to wait and go to a few gun clubs around the area and handle a few guns and learn some gun safety before you jump into just buying a gun.

Now my wife said I have alternate motives cause he has a Big fancy truck and Camper and where you guys go hunting that big thing would carry everything you need and then some. I told her know that we all would split the fuel and meals and anything else that was needed and Frank would not even need to pay for the fuel.

I can see a lost soul here that could probably be pulled into the 16ga flock if things are taken slow and with the proper guidance. My wife said I am going to He@# I said no you don't understand and she said yes I do understand. Look we have been married fort yrs how does she know what I'm thinking.

I told Big Frank he needs to come to my house and I will give him some gun handling experience. He needs to try a variety of guns. I have about a half a dozen of 16's so there is no need to get any of the others out for a while.

I hear my wife comming down the stairs so I need to go for now but I would like some feedback on the good or bad. On not from the rev. though he may not say what we need to hear.

Continued

Grousen
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:16 am  Reply with quote

Well, we all live by our own sef-set standards of right or wrong. Regardless of what is said by others, I would think we still go by what we individually think is right or wrong. So my suggestion is to go by what your conscience tells you to do.

That being said, my first reaction is that regardless of what a person brings to the table materially, I am more concerned about what kind of guy he is, whether he is safe with firearms, and if I actually enjoy spending my limited time off with him.

Picking a hunting buddy is kind of like looking for the right woman to marry. Be carefull because what you see may not be what you get !!! And seeing as you are talking about spending time with someone carrying a firearm, I hope you don't get into a situation that doesn't give you a second chance to re-evaluate your decision every now and then.

There is probably nothing here that you don't already know. Good luck.
3DocPop
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:19 am  Reply with quote

I can't understand why ANYBODY would think you have an ulterior motive introducing Frank to the great sport of upland game. You are just providing an alternative means for him to enjoy the great outdoors, and if he happens to have the means to get there, that is a really happy coincidence Laughing

Seriously, sounds like a great opportunity to spread the word about our sport and our gauge! And, I second Grousen about a hunting buddy - life is too short and precious to go with anyone that is not a fit.
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:49 am  Reply with quote

Bless you Laughing

(But this guy needs some serious mentoring in priorities)

Last edited by revdocdrew on Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:30 am; edited 2 times in total

87016ga
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:19 am  Reply with quote

old16:
keep your friend away from that godda@# wall-fing-mart Exclamation
offhand35
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:03 pm  Reply with quote

I don't know, old16, I hope you actually know this fellow better than you are able to describe....
MAYBE Confused developing an interest in the 16ga with him will help slow him down from the "mo', bigga', betta'" fast moving without thought kind of life.
But it may take longer than he will have patience for...

chopper
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:58 pm  Reply with quote

I'm usually trying to get away from people like that when I hunt...
old16
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:01 am  Reply with quote

I know this fellow is high strung . I may not push this two much. He said that his wife might like to try it also. I don't think this is a good Idea. Pretty soon all his kids will want to also, which is fine in one since but I'm to old to try and hang out with a bunch of ping pong ball bouncing all over the place.

This may be taking a turn for the worse. I'll go at this a little slower.

Its that da#@ truck and camper.

87016ga
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:28 am  Reply with quote

how about taking his wife to the range with the truck and camper and let your friend and his kids go to walmart Laughing Cool Wink Wink