16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Decision time again
brdhnt
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:41 am  Reply with quote

It's that time of year. September 1 is just three days away and the dove opener marks the beginning of the upland seasons.

As always, I am faced with the question of which gun for opening day. Out of the last dozen or so years, there were only two when I didn't have to face this decision. One year I had a brand new 28 gauge side by side and last year I was right in the middle of testing a Ruger Gold Label for Shotgun Sports. It worked very well with some light (1200 FPS) one ounce loads of 8's and/or 7 1/2's by the way. I used the skeet and IC chokes (right and left).

But back to this year's decision. I have loaded and used a lot of 7/8th ounce and light 1 ounce loads in my 16's this summer and they have performed very well on clay birds. Even though I am "married" to the 16 gauge, the 28 gauge makes such a sweet and tempting mistress and I have enjoyed using a 28 on opening day numerous times.

Ah, decisions, decisions. I am thinking of the 28 for opening day, a 16 with 7/8th ounce loads for Saturday and just alternating between 16's and 28's each time. Since there are 3 of each in the gun safe, that takes care of at least 6 hunts. Of course when we discuss using 8's vs. 7 1/2's, 7/8th, 1 ounce and 1 1/8th ounce loads in the 16, that means even more decisions as the season goes on.

Hmmmm, I never understood it when my one of my ex's would stare at a closet full of clothes and state that they had nothing to wear! Maybe decisions like this are teaching me to understand their statements instead of my past response which was: "What the He** are you talking about?"

I'm thankful that I am faced with such a dilema.

How about y'all? Anyone else face these decisions?

Thoughts, please.

Thank you.

Terry
________
MAXXCAB

Last edited by brdhnt on Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:19 am  Reply with quote

Terry, an ex-wife likely would have been much more understanding about a closet full of hunting boots than a safe full of guns. You could've explained boots for doves, quail, pheasants, grouse; cold weather, warm weather; boots to match each pair of hunting pants. That they would get, for sure!Smile

Can't help with your dilemma, but you have my permission to kill my share of doves, because we still can't shoot them in Iowa.
brdhnt
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:21 pm  Reply with quote

Larry,

Believe me they weren't even when it came to clothes and boots, we won't even mention guns, dogs or reloaders! Sad

I've decided the "next future ex-Mrs." (great line from Jeff Blumberg in Jurrassic Park) will bethe woman who when she firsts sniffs Hoppe's No.9 asks: "What is that pleasing aroma?" Laughing

I happened to be in Iowa during election week in 04 and heard all the wailing and whining about Iowa voting Republican for Bush! It doesn't surprise me that they still view the dove as a songbird! Shocked

I'll take a couple of extra boxes of shells along and shoot just for you. Since I've seen you shoot, I figure two boxes should add up to about two doves if I try to shoot like you! Laughing Sorry, I can't use a double trigger gun since us Texicans have joined the 21st century and believe that a gun is supposed to have one trigger! Cool

C'mon down and we'll shoot some together and we can dispell the vicious rumor that you don't know what you're talking about when it comes to guns and loads! We'll have proof! Laughing

Later

Terry
________
Honda VFR750R

Last edited by brdhnt on Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:06 pm  Reply with quote

Terry--I wouldn't know what I was talking about, if the subject was chokes and loads for doves. That's for sure! We actually passed a dove bill, but our soon to be ex-governor vetoed it. There's always the next guy, I guess.

Texas in the 21st century? Heaven help us! In some counties, you have to drive to the next one to buy booze. And every time I see a pretty girl down in TX, she sticks her head out the truck window and spits--and what she's chewing ain't bubblegum. As for double triggers, they're the natural thing for a gun with barrels properly aligned for one's eyes. Now if you get one of those new-fangled guns with the odd, vertical barrels . . . then I suppose a single trigger is OK. A guy might have trouble with a DT when he turns it sideways to shoot, to get the proper barrel alignment.